Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Rams...Update

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheLakeRat, Jun 24, 2002.

1. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

OK here is the scoop. Basicly they are great. I took it out and absolutley ragged the **** out of it. it worked great better, smooth steering, plenty fast, nice and smooth.

So then i decided to deliberatly **** the ram up. My machinist told me that they WOULD NOT leak because of the seals and double backups he put in it. So naturally i wanted to prove him wrong.
    I banged it against rocks to try and bend the body and it held up fine. so then i found a rock the was the perfect shape to hit and push the tierod and the ram straight up, basicly putting all the weight of the Jeep on them. I suceeded in pretzeling my tie rod and bending the rod on the ram. Orginaly the rod was bent over 30 degrees and then rebounded back to about 3-5 dergrees of bend. I was amazed it came back that far. I drove it for a whle after i straightened out my tierod to see if the ram would start to leak. never could get it to leak a drop.

But in the true tradition of Redneck Texans, I told him i want over kill. So the rams are being made 1 3/4" bore instead of1 1/2 and will have 5/8" shaft. I think this is what AGR sell anyway so what the hell. We'll still offer the 1 1/2" rams to whoever wants one but i think the 1 3/4 will be better and a good balance between strength and speed. What do ya'll think?

Now, i have a question for all of you other Rednecks out there. What end do you want on them. We have two choices 5/8 thread with a 5/8 hole or 5/8 thread with a 1/2" hole? This may sound like a stupid questions but there are many aplications where a 1/2' would just about bolt into place of a steering stabilizer and a 5/8' would have to be modified to make work. Ya'll tell me, cause they are meant to be for people that will actually use and abuse them.

Thanks for all the input.

P.S. we can build double ended rams also. just let us know what you want.

6305 US Hwy 277 S.
    San Angelo, Tx. 76904

www.westtexasoffroad.com

2. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

I would love to have a situation where I could just bolt up the ram in the steering stabilizer's spot personally. I can weld but am honestly just lazy when it comes to working hard.
    My .02

Dave Cowley

88 Jimmy 1 ton locked on 36's

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I would go for the 5/8", just b/c of a little more peace of mind yah know; plus that's what I have already /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. I can't wait to get your RAM when it's all said and done...I may still go with the 1.5" to keep the speed there, and keep the same size as my existing one. But I'm not 100% on that yet...Keep us posted and let us know when it's all ready to go...Your RAM sounds super beefy!!!
    Boss

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Whatever comes stock. You know you'll sell more of them if they're a bolt on...and that's what I'd buy. Would a hydro ram really shear a 1/2" grade 8 bolt?

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

What about price? Will the complete kit still be around $450? I also agree on the 1/2" bolts. I don't think I'll break one, and I'd rather break a bolt than tear up the box, or knuckle.

When will they be available?

BIGJ

6. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the input guys. I think i will stik with the 1/2 for the 1.5" rams and offer either way on the 1.75" rams. That sound like a good way to go?

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What are diffences in speed/strength between the 1.5 and 1.75?