Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"New" rear axle.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Diesel Dan, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

\"New\" rear axle.

Just picked up a('nother) axle for my suburban swap.
    It's a 10.5" F*rd, sterling, axle out of a late model SD. Approx 68" flange-flange, no rotors or calipers. Has the factory parking brake assemblies and caliper mounts. Ring and pinion are out of axle, open carrier.

Picked it up for $40. For that price I think I'll rebuild it just to use the factory disc/parking brake setup.

Parts pile is getting bigger /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.
    14FF, Sterling 10.5, D60, Cummins&adapters for GM auto, 4L80E diesel harness, Intercooler.

The "to do list" is still pretty long however /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: \"New\" rear axle.

Awesome find.
    I've wondered about that - with all the trucks out there these days with discs in the back (and e-brakes for them), why isn't there a kit out there for the 14 bolt that uses some of those calipers. I'm guessing they'd be cheaper and easier to find than old eldorado calipers. Am I missing something here? Why wouldn't they work (I'm assuming that the backing plate would need to be drilled to different dimensions most likely, but what is it also that wouldn't make it work?)

3. Diesel Dan

It's a totally different ebrake than the caddys have. The e-brake looks like a small drum brake setup. There is a machined surface on the ID of the rotor.

Maybe the disc brake setup from a late model 14FF would fit the older housings. But I don't think it would just bolt on.

4. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

I hope you realize that the bolt pattern on that axle does not match any other 8 lug. The older ford, chevy, & dodge
    have a bolt pattern of 8 on 6.5 inches. The super duty has a 8 on 170mm bolt pattern.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I hope that Sterling is a full floater too. I found out the hard way after swapping in a semi-floater 10.25 into my Bronco that the locker choices are almost nada.

6. Diesel Dan

[ QUOTE ]
    The super duty has a 8 on 170mm bolt pattern

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, will have to work on this.
    Here is a pic of the ebrake hub assembly