Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Rear Bumper @ 65% Completed - PICS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Here are some pics of my new rear bumper I'm currently building. The main piece is 3" x 6" rectangular tubing, 3/16" wall. The two pieces of 1/4" plate you see on the front of it are for the 1" x 2" Bar Stock I'm using for the attachment points. There is another 1/4" plate on the backside to which I"m going to ARC weld the bar stock into place on both sides. Should be strong enough.

The spindle you see on the drivers side is Rockstompers tire carrier hinge which I'm going to have a 35" spare and 2 Jerry cans supported by it. It's fully gusseted on the inside of the bumper (which you can't see).

I am going to put a receiver in the center so I can tow but I wanted you all to see what I had so far, and the design as a whole.

You can also see in the pics I cut the backside of the bumper angled inward to give clearance for when the frame flexes. This way it won't damage the tail lights.

There are also some pics of the departure angle. MUCH BETTER than I had previously. Should clear just fine.

Here's the pics.. http://www.rockmongers.com/projects/rear_bumper/

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Wow! I wish I could weld like that. Looks real good. What kind of welder did you use?

Also what is your bed coated in?

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

beefy!

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what is the spindle from?
    I was thinking about using a dead dana44 or 10b for that complete with warn locking hub to position it

5. Waxer

6. Waxer

Forgot to mention that steel splinters dont feel so well /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I guess I'm a little late, but you didnt have to weld that rockstomper hinge to the bumper. It'll fit inside a peice of 1.5" x .120" wall tube. I like that design /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. Waxer

Nice tip. Yeah I actually thought of that but I wanted it to be secured to the vehicle at all times. I dont want the risk of having it coming out of that pipe during a rollover, unless you were thinking of tack welding it in.

Also it was too long for my bumper design so it had to be cut down anyways.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

NICE.... /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

When are you going to get that pig on the trail? The tits are still on the tires!
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Looks good ! I like the bed side suports too. Get something to protect the gas tank!

11. Waxer

haha yah it seems like forever I've been working on this thing and haven't been on the trail.

Soon as I have the cash to pay for the registration and smog I will be on the trail.

I have the stock skid which I'm thinking of just beefing up with 1/8" plate and calling it a day. What do you think?

Get in #jeep more often man...

12. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The bumper sits in and up far enough that it wont be getting hung up, you thought this one out didnt you?

13. Waxer

Sure did. I got hungup all the damned time with my old bumper. I wanted to resolve that problem with this one. I had to cut the ends of the frame rails off to allow this to happen. Can't be afraid of cutting the frame /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why isn't it as tall on the ends as it is in the middle?

Nice welds, BTW.

15. Waxer

Ya know, I don't know. It was when I first started cutting it. Only thing I could think is the metal shrinking that takes place when you heat metal caused it to pull the ends down with all the welding I did on the bottom of the ends.