Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New rear bumper pictures (updated pics 12/14)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I got started on my bumper today. It's going to be made from 4x2 1/4 wall sqaure tube. It's flush with the tailgate and after I cut the quarters off, I'll weld peices to the side that will extend to the rear tires. I also got a peice of receiver tube to put in it too. Anyway heres the pictures

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: New rear bumper pictures

Good stuff!
    I saw the line on the quarter...are you going to cut it off too?
    Mine got messed up when my wheel studs broke and the tire fell off [​IMG] so I am going to cut mine off right where you have the line. I am than thinking about making a bumper that wraps around to protect it.

Keep up the good work and post more pics when you get them.

Also where did you get the reveiver tube?

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Man, wish I had got a hold of you to warn you about a few things. The frames and bodies of the truck are doing 2 different things. My bumper is tight to the body but it's behind the tub. I left a little end cap on it. On both sides I have dent 2.5 inches above the bumper when the truck is sitting level. The only way to stop this movement is a full cage tied to the frame so that the whole truck becomes like a unibody. Might want to get on the ORD board and drill Stephen. He's probably going to have the best answers. He tied the cage so he could make the truck as rigid as possible. He can give you some pointers.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue> I'm going to do a cage mounted to the frame probably in the spring. I was going to make it a little tighter, but I left some room between the bumper and the tailgate for body/frame movement.
    That line is where the quarter will be cut, and I have some more 4x2 to extend to the rear tires.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

That is sweet! Please keep us updated on the finished product. I am going to be creating a bumper much like the one you are, and would be really interested in all the details.

Would you have to cut out the frame to fit the bumper tight against the body line of the tail gate?

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

6. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I dont know someone did it for me. I think you would have to

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Please dont take it wrong, but...

How is a bumper like that going to protect you from the rear when it is flush with the tailgate? I want my bumper to protect me when I back into something. I would think it would be a little better protection if it were not so flush with the rear of the truck? Not meant to insult or anything, because I really do like the looks of it.

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

8. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I welded in the frame peices yesterday and clamped the peice of steel to the ends, its not as close to the gate as it is in those pictures. I will upload the new pictures tonight.

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Cool man! I want to make a similar setup for my truck... are there big differences in the frame? Also, where did you buy the receiver piece at? What do you think the total cost of your new bumper is (What did you pay for materials)?

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    Excite @Home SUCKS!
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

10. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>The receiver peice came from Harbor Freight (I think, I found it in my garage) and 17' of 2x4 1/4" wall box tube was $80. Someone before me cut the ends off the back of my frame to use the wrong bumper that they probably got for free, but we wont get into the previous owner. I'm going to get a Rockstopmer tire hinge and make a swing away spare carrier. I need a spare first

11. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Excuse my ignorance, but how will you put that receiver into the bumper? Ihope you have some good pics of that. That really looks nice. I'm doing the same but with 2X6 rec tubing. If possible, I'd like to see the Rockstomper hinge on there also. Keep up the good work.

<font color=red>"SETTING OFF ALARMS IN A CITY NEAR YOU!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Looks nice Jess

I put a reciever into my rear bumper last week. My bumper is out of 2x4x3/16. What I did was I welded the outer ring on that reciever tube on solid and good. Then I inset the reciever tube all the way into the bumper by cutting a larger hole in the front side than I did in the rear. Then I welded it in flush like that. The pin hole in the rear is about 1/4" from the back of the bumper that way so I wouldn't have to modify this location. Hope that helps, I'll get some pics up soon.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

13. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Have you really look at how you'll have to attach the rockstompet hinge? <a target="_blank" href=http://rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/hinge.htm>http://rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/hinge.htm</a> The "spindle" that the "hub" mounts to has to go through you bumper and therefore the bumper needs to clear the body to allow the spindle to be mounted on top of the bumper. Unless you're going to weld on another tab or gusset or something, the spindle will not clear your body and therefore the tire carrier in the future won't clear the tailgate. You probably have this stuff figured out, but I just thought I'd warn ya to be on the safe side when you're making your measurements and final decisions. I'd hate for you to have to re-do all of your work a second time so that your tire carrier rack will fit.

HTH,

Buddy

72 K-5, 33x12.5's, 350/350/205,12-bR,d44F soon to be 39.5'x15.5s, EFI502/nv4500/doubler205, d60F, d70R. Stay tuned.

14. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I'm welding tabs on the back of the bumper for the tire hinge to go, so it will mount to the back of the bumper instead of through it like your thinking.

15. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I got everything welded up and mounted last night. I took some pictures but its raining out so they're kinda dark. Here they are <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/25499947XxjDjyPxVb>Click Here</a>

16. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Chris,

Looks good man. I plan to do the same with my bumper and wrap it around the sides. I think mine will be made from round tubing like Watsons where it protects the quarters. I have already trimmed off the damage from Disney and am ready to have the tubing bent and welded in. Keep us posted on the carrier you are building.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

17. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

That looks exactly like the bumper on my Truck.
    Looks Good.

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.

18. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I just took down the bad pictures and put up better ones