Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEW rear end broken AGAIN

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Oct 11, 2001.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Since I put my rebuilt rear end in, I've put about 1,000 miles on it. Changed the fluid in there yesterday with 2 qts of valvoline Dura-Blend 80-90 and 14oz. of LSD additive, which would bring the fluid level up to the fill plug, which was seized shut, so I had to fill it through the vent, but since I've done this before, I remembered 2.5 qts is what it holds. 14oz. is about 1/2 a quart, right? Well, 16 is, so I put an extra 2 oz of gear oil in, to bring it to 2.5 qts. Today, its grinding and popping with a load on it. Jacked it up and let the wheels turn and it was fine, so it only happens when its on the ground. Sounds like the carrier bearings are bad...or maybe the shop did a shitty job on it...don't know. They should cover it under warranty, even though I changed the fluid in it...I did put the right fluid and amount in there, right? Thanks

90K5

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

14 ounces of additive? I thought they usually needed more like 4 ounces. Does it make noise going in a straight line? If it's only when cornering, then it sounds like the posi is chattering as it is forced to slip.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I know its making noise cornering, but it probably is when going in a straight line too.

90K5

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There could be occasional pops from the diff as you drive in a straight line, due to the difference in the distance of one revolution of each tire. It's very rare that both rear tires will cover the exact same distance per revolution due to differences in tire wear, inflation pressures, etc.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I can't believe the trouble you've had.........I run Valvoline, and 14oz ...(2 of those squirt bottle things).....if it makes noise only under a load, I wonder if you broke a spider gear or something....did you remove the cover and have a look?......I'm bettin' that after it locked up the first time, it damaged the Auburn, and they simply opened it up and "unfroze" it......then they got it to turn and put it all back together......in my line of work we call that Tuf B......(turned up f'n broke)......mine will pop occasionally in a turn in a parking lot or goin' around a tight corner, but most of the time I don't know it's there (on pavement.....works well off road)......I had a good experience with Stan's, so I felt comfortable with the tip....sorry things are so messed up.....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I looked at everything really good yesterday, and it seemed allright. Probably put 50-60 miles on it since then, but no hard driving on it. Did they recommened to use 14 oz. of LSD additive in there for yours? I ask because I forgot to ask them about it, and changed it without talking to them. I don't want to dig myself into a hole when I go talk to them tomorrow by saying I put too much or too little additive in there. I don't think there will be a problem with them, because they were really nice when I went back the first time, and completely admitted fault. thanks

90K5<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 90K5 on 10/11/01 08:19 PM.</FONT></P>

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had driven my setup to Pikes Peak twice......once for the 4WD Jamboree which was held at the new Race Track, and once for the Race to the Clouds......I took off for Talledega, and about the time I got to Shreveport, I got a lot of binding, etc when I had to slow down for construction.....flipped me out....I got out and checked the fluid, and drove around in small circles, which seemed to make the noise go away.....but it would come back when I slowed down after a cruise.....didn't know whether to go on or turn back since I still had like 500 miles to go and another 700 to get back....I decided to change the fluid so i could take a look, but I wasn't sure how much additive to use......I got the Synthetic, and 2 tubes (7oz each) of additive....drained it, filled it, and took off again.....not a peep have I heard since then.....finished that trip to Talledega.....made another one for the Oct race....drove to Bristol, Darlington (twice), Martinsville, Richmond, and Atlanta....two trips to Little Rock, and three trips to Nashville......Plus this is my daily driver.......the manual says to use 7oz for the Govloc......I don't even know if you need the additive to make the unit grip, or to let it slip......I figured it was to make it slip, and if I was wrong, I could just drain it and refill with only one tube of additive......I'd call some other rearend builder and just ask....or better yet, call Major at Davidson Automotive on Greenville (just North of Main) and ask him.......I'll email you my home #, and tell you anything I can......usually home by 6p or so......JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I called Stan's and told them about the problem, and they said to use the stuff from the dealer...tis only 4 oz, but it better be good, almost $8. So far no trouble, did act wierd getting out of the driveway, but once it got circulated it was fine. Hopefully this is the end of my problems with this thing.....

90K5