Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Rear Leafs VS. Shackle Flip.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Apr 20, 2000.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Ok lets just say that money is not an issue...*YEAH RIGHT* what would be better an shackle flip or brand new leafs with no blocks? is it up to the type of wheeling you do?

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Go with the flip. It's cheaper than new springs anyway.

Shawn
    <font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>
    www.off-road.com

3. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna go with the flip. Flatter springs means more articulation and a softer ride. (right?)

Blazin' in Flagstaff

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well I would have to go with the new spring pack! Just cuz the new style of packs comming out with many thin leafs 7 or more give you a sweet ride and still allowing good felx.
    At the same time you don't get axel wrap. I have never delt with a flip just a new spring pack so that is most likly the only reason I chose the new pack!! I love mine and don't regret it a bit!![​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

OK, let's try a different slant on this. If your rear springs were shot and had to be replaced anyway, would you go the extra expense of new 2 1/2" springs and a 4" shackle flip to get the 6 inch rear lift or would you go with 6" rear spring packs?

Thanks
    Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

For some reason, shackle flips are illegal in Maryland. Atleast that is what the MVA (DMV) told me. Don't know why, but maybe you should check the laws in your state. Just a suggestion.
    Boss

7. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

if you are lifting more than 2 inches almost any new spring pack you buy is going to be stiffer than a shackle flip. like someone else pointed out, a flatter spring will generally provide a softer ride. speaking from experience, i did a ORD shackle flip while keeping the original spring pack(re-radius edges, teflon inserts, and greasable bushings help reduce friction) giving me four inches of lift. the ride is 100% better than stock! the rancho 9000's help too.
    then the question is; mud or rocks? mudders generally want a stiffer ride. rock crawlers opt for a softer one. what are you going to be doing mostly?

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Do you have pictures of the cheaper shackle flip vs. the rear springs, how do you figure its cheaper, can you
    please post the math ?
    thanks alot

9. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

I did both...i did the 4" flip along with 2" spring to give an overall 6" lift. Even though the 2 " spring has more arch than the stock ones it rides alot better than it did. I would definitly go with the shackle flip and if money is an issue i ahve seen plenty other ways on the board that makes the flip inexpensive.

[​IMG]

10. Shawn

11. Executioner

Hum, thats funny, I could have swaron that I have read that the 4" shackle flip reqiures a "CV" driveshaft
    might you have forgot about this little item ?

12. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

When i did the flip, i just used a normal driveshaft and shimmed the pinion down. i am however going with a fixed yoke and a CV joint b/c without shimming the pinion the driveshaft and straight on the pinion...DId that make any sense what so ever. Oh well.

13. Shawn

A CV shaft is only optional. If the TC and the axle pinion angles are within 2 degrees of eachother then you should be fine. By adding a shim and/or dropping the TC an inch or so, it would compensate for the shackle flip.

This is on ORD's shackle flip page (link is above):
    Pinion angle is a popular question with this kit. The quick and easy answer is that there is no quick and easy answer. Proper pinion angle depends on drivetrain length, wheelbase, gears, tires, vehicle speed and more. It usually boils down to what works for your truck. In general, the shackle flip sets the pinion angle about right for most 4" to 6" lift Blazers and shortbeds, especially the later models with the aluminum transfer cases. Longbeds and Suburbans will probably (but not always) need to shim the pinion down a few degrees for minimum vibration.

Shawn
    <font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>
    www.off-road.com

14. Executioner

Well can't argue with that ! But I guess time will tell the truth. IMHO for the rear and a small lift(3-5")
    a good one spring fits all is better than the shackle flip as far as cost $$$ goes.
    good one spring fits all= BDS, Superlift, Tuff Co..,... ect.

15. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Here is my deal,

When I started lifting my truck, I first opted to use a add-a-leaf, I have slight vibration at speeds over 35mph, I'm the only person that I have know to have this. Plus after doing my flip I had, repeat HAD to use a CV shaft. I don't know if anybody else would have to do this also.

As far as my next lift, I'm using 8" springs in the front. Some very soft & flexy ones, and 4-5" springs in the rear. That along with my flip & heavyduty perches (like depdog's)I'm opting to have the rear 1" higher than the front.

Hope this helps,

Corey
    88K5
    (Flip all the way!!!!!)

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

16. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I did the 4" flip with Tuff country 2" springs with overloads removed.I did nothing to my driveshaft and have no drivetrain vibrations.I have a 465/205 combo don't know if that makes my drive shaft longer or shorter then others.They do say that having them out of phase will increase wear i think.But so does two in proper alignment that are at greater angles.

17. jsc383

jsc383 Registered Member

holy crap, i never thunk about fliping the shackles for a lift. i always thougt that would just be farming out the truck.
    Is there any other lifts then the 4", like a 2.5" or 3" or maybe a 8", and do they work front and rear? and is it strong enough becuse i drivelike an @ssho%# (yes a 305 blazer can cruse at 90,shakes a lot.) and i like things to be over built just so i feel better.

PS whats the best way taking out those rivits with out a plasma cutter.

18. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Grinder or drill pilot holes with a small bit & than a large bit to drill out the heads.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez