Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jeff l, Jul 16, 2006.

1. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

I just rebuilt a 86 jimmy and put a 375 hp 350, rebuilt 700r4, rebuilt 14b sf 3.73 eaton rear end.

Problem is truck still drives like a old truck. It doesn't seem like it has that much HP.

These are two things that i still need to do, timeing; I never timed it with a light I don't know if that would make it any better b/c it sounds right.

The other is the tv cable it can't be right b/c the trans shifts to hard and just doesn't feel right. I read and did research but may I am still doing something wrong.

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    What tires are you running? The 3.73 gears will dog it.
    I like a hard shifting trans and it's better for it.

3. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

235/85/16 or 265/75/16 is what I am thinking about buying

old 235/85/16 is what is on now

I hate to here that about 3.73 b/c I had to put that to match my front ;not enough $ to rebuild the front

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

If you're not positive that your TV cable correctly adjusted, you might consider paying a shop to adjust it for you. It would definitely be cheaper than having to rebuild the transmission.

5. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

do you think 3.73 will bog down my moter

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it could. but if your tv cable isn't right, you're definitely going to feel gutless - and, like said before, you're going to kill that tranny in the next 3-4 weeks. been there, and done that. get your tv cable right.

7. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

Thanks,I ran it for maybe 10 miles,one of the problems is I have edolbrock carb and intake. and i had to buy two adapters, one was a cruse control bracket that had a spot for the accelerator. the other was a tv cable corrector. They would not both fit together so I had to cut part of the tv cable adapter.
    It looks like the tv cable has a pretty straight shot and the cable has room for adjustment both ways.

so with that said I don't know if the adjustment is wrong or is it very critical for the end to be precise(where it hooks up to the carb)

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

well, i'm not too certain how to answer your question b/c i've never dealt with a carbed engine (diesel). but i can't stress enough about how important it is to have your tv cable set right. with an improperly set tv cable, i wouldn't give your new tranny more than a month. mine was set wrong, and my truck ran HORRIBLY.

your gears shouldn't be too bad with a tire that size - that's only about a 33" or smaller tire, right? i would really think having your tv set right will get you feeling those horses.

9. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Sounds like you need to start dealing with issues like timing and carb tuning as well.

10. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

thanks I am calling the guy who rebuilt the transmission today.

I think those tires are about 31''

11. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

timed it with a light I put it at 8 didn't make much of a difference.
    carb tuning is a good point it went from the box to the manifold I didn't touch the adjustments

12. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I run 31s with 3.73 gears, and mine launches out of the hole pretty well for a big, stubby truck.

The thing with the TV cable is that it tells the throttle valve in the tranny just how far down you're mashing the gas pedal, so the throttle valve boosts the line pressure in the tranny in order to keep the clutches from slipping (and grinding themselves up) under the heavier load of acceleration, maintaining speed going up a hill, towing a big trailer, and so forth.

If the cable isn't properly adjusted (and it doesn't take much error to throw things off), you might not get enough line pressure for the load, causing the clutches to slip, make a ton of heat, burn themselves up...that's kind of oversimplifying things, but that's the rough picture.