Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New respect for Colorado wheelers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txbartman, Aug 26, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Well, at the end of July, my family and I went on vacation in Colorado (Buena Vista area). Since the Jimmy died 10 days before leaving, we had to alter our plans a bit and took my Firebird instead and rented a cabin versus staying in our camper.

We also had plans to go 4-wheelin, so we rented a Jeep and hit the trails one day. For those familiar with the area, we had originally planned to drive to the top of Mt. Antero. But, we were advised against it. So, instead, we did the drive up Mt. Princeton. That trail starts around 9,000 foot or so and tops off around 12,500. Good thing we didn't do Mt. Antero (trail goes up to 14,000 foot level) as our carb'ed 88 Wrangler struggled profusely above tree line.

Anyway, the trail was not technically challenging. There were no major rocks, no ledges to climb, no significant off-camber or twists. But, the trail was VERY narrow (just wide enough for the Wrangler). And the last mile or so (it is 5.5 miles total) is a shelf road, well above tree-line, with about a 2-3,000 foot drop off! You know, here in Texas, if you roll, you go about 100 maybe 200 feet before you come to a rest against a rock or a tree. And that is IF you do more than just lay over. On that road, if we slipped, there was no stopping us!

Anyway, it was a fun, exciting, adrenaline-pumping trip, but I will never do it again. I will stick to the 4' deep mud or the 4' tall ledges or the 4' deep ruts. But you won't see me on anymore shelf roads like that! If we were in my rig with its wide stance, heavier weight, and 9' of hieght, I probably would've crapped in my pants! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I have been up some of those roads as a Kid in the family station wagon. A 73 VW 412. Some of those passes are down right narrow. A lot of those are on old narow line rail beds that were pulled up many years ago.
    Did you notice in the new Four Wheeler is using a picture of your truck for advertising. It's in the First few pages lower right corner.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out to me on Saturday. Shouldn't I get some royalties for that!?! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I just wish it was running. I gto the garage cleaned out last weekend and have someone coming to pick up the original 305 emgine this week. That gives me the room to put the current engine when I pull it this weekend. I hope to have it back up and running again by the end of October. Its sad to look at it every morning sitting so still. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

He yeah that would be nice to get royalties. Heck a penny on every copy would add up!
    I hear you on the cleaning out. I have so much junk right now including 3 sets of tires, 3 sets of rims. that need to go. Looks like I have one set of tires sold this week. One set of rims I'm keeping and they belong to my pontiac. The rest needs to go. I have a bunch of stuff like Exhaust manifolds and emmisions junk I just can't give away. Finnalu started chucking it to get it out of here. Gave Keith a 350 that had oil pressure problems a few weeks back. Now if I can find some money to build a shed then I can get the garage cleared out so I can start restoring the Pontiac LOL.

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Hey Grim, what kind of tires you got that your looking to get rid of?