Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New rock crawling in Michigan?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Feb 19, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Announcing the "Adopt-A-Rock" Program: Aaron Young of Thunder Bay Off-Roaders has proposed an Adopt-A-Rock program to raise money to build a rock crawling course at the Gladwin County Ice Carnival grounds, which is also the site for the GLFWDA Sand-O-Rama. The site already has basketball sized rocks purchased last year. This would add limstone boulders up to 3' to 4' in diameter to build a course suitable for a rock crawling championship event. The rocks are available at approximately $14 per ton. Each load is 50 ton loads and costs roughly $700 per load. Each load cover an area approximately 15' by 15' by 3' high.

As an added incentive to contribute, the American Rock Crawler's Association, is interested in Great Lakes' hosting a statewide ARCA rules rock crawling championship event if we hav a suitable course.

If you would like to support this program, please send a check made out to "Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association", with "rocks" on the memo line to Thunder Bay Off-Roaders, P.O. Box 654, Alpena, MI 49707-0654. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Aaron either by e-mail at ironmanent@aol.com.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

2. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

Is Aaron the guy with the black jeep? I believe he smoked his motor on the pre-snow blind run a few months back. Anyways, he was talking like he was getting a good deal on some rocks. That sounds a little pricey. Just wondering.

Thank you......Detroit!

3. four_by_ken

I dont know who he is. If it all works out, could be kind of cool. Dont think I would go there just for that, but it would be a welcome addition to Sand-O-Rama.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

4. COYOTE35

COYOTE35 1/2 ton status

Im new to Michigan, where do you suggest to go for a 4x4 club? I'm used to rock crawling and haven't seen a suitable rock pile yet, . I'm in the SE Grand Rapids area.

Whats wrong with big and wide?

5. four_by_ken

Check out the web site for

Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association

Sorry forgot the exact address, something to do with the initials. But, just do a Yahoo! search and it will come up. There is a listing there of a bunch of clubs.

And the reason you havnt found any rock crawling, is becasuse there is next to none.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs