Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Rotors and Pads Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rusty79beast, Aug 31, 2004.

1. rusty79beast

rusty79beast Registered Member

Is there a significant advantage to buying the "$50 rotors" compared to the "$25 rotors", and same with all the different priced brake pads from $15 a set all the way up to almost $100 a set? Any help would be greatly appreciated... oh yeah, and these are for replacing the front brakes on my DD 2000 Chev Silverado.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Paul

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I run through the cheap pads quickly , and they squeal too . The perfomance friction types last longer for me and don't make moise . I can't say about rotors , I never bought new ones as mine are still in great shape /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is typically quite a difference in quality of rotors when going from the way cheap to the moderately expensive units. I'd say look at them both and see what kind of quality differences you can see just by looking at them. Check the two friction planes (where the pads contact the rotor), they should be very similar in thickness. Usually, not always, but usually there will be a significant difference in thickness on the Chinese units as opposed to the domestic produced units usually being rather equal in thickness. I have run both and I now prefer the domestic units.
    Pad quality varies greatly. A good quality (Bendix, Wagner or first line Raybestos) original equipment composition pad should serve you well. For the last 10yrs+ I have used only the Bendix Fleet/Metlock pads and I have never had a noise or excessive dust issue with them, they last a long time and the rotors do as well.

4. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

Autozone has some that make less dust..the draw back is more metal in the pad "mixture" if you will.....this is harder on the rotors.....yes you can get moderately priced pads that have life time warranties.....but if they make noise and wear out quiker you will be doing more "free" brake jobs...as opposed to wheelin'....drinkin' beer...spendin' time with your family/friends...what ever else you do with your "free" time......just my 2 cents /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif