Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New RTI Ramp Pictures

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shawn, Jun 6, 2000.

1. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Ramped the K5 today at lunch. Was a little disappointed with the outcome but I know I can do better next time. My score on a 25 degree ramp was 714. If I did my math correctly, that would be 870 on a 20 degree ramp. First problem is my front fenders need to be trimmed more. The tire was kissing the fender causing less flex in the front. The other problem was the rear shocks were limiting my springs and revolvers not to extend to the fullest. I need to relocate the shocks similar to what Depdog did so that they are angled more. Anyway, here's some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More here:
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/rodent/ramp/

Shawn
    87 K5

2. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

That's it, I am buying some of those revolver shackles to go with my ORD flip. I think i better get a CV driveshaft first so the U joints won't bind. Man that blazer looks good!

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/

3. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Shawn- Where do you get those shackles anyway? Fill us in...[​IMG]

Blazin' in Flagstaff

4. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Have you got any pictures of the exhaust? I want to run duals out the back and would like some pictures to see. Do you have headers?

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Shawn,

Hey if I buy a set of those shackles, will my rig look as good as yours? [​IMG] Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm that Blazer is sweet. You could not go wheeling with me, I go down trails that would peel the paint off! [​IMG] Man, next time I get out to Denver, you have to show me that rig! Where did you ramp it at, 4 wheel parts? Judging by how many pics you took, You must have looked like a chinese tourist! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I know, my jealousy is showing...

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

6. 72junker

72junker Registered Member

7. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

very sweet, what lift do you have on that beautiful machine?

Knife.

8. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Hey, Shawn. Nice truck. I am interested in your front bumper. Is that a Warn bumper and winch combo? If so, where's the best place to get one? I want to get a winch, but I would like to also have a grill and brush guard on the front. Anyone know who makes a grill and brush guard that allows a winch to set on it as well. For example, where the lights may go?? Thanks.

Chevy's RULE!

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Looks good. I think the rear is flexing out great. Looks like the front is limited on the shocks like mine. Mine on stock rear springs with a flip and 2.5 inch rancho popped off a 750 on it's first ramp with new front springs. Problems is I don't know if the angle was 20 or 23. My front shocks had me limited both up and down. Belive it or not my front STOCK driveshaft it to long and it was also hurting my ramp. Seems Rancho decided to move the pins back when they made the springs. I think I'm going to either make them eat the springs or swap them onto the Wifes 79 and get a different brand. I had hogged out the fenders to clear 35's and with their BS, 33's is all that will fit.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok Shawn time to get that bad boy DIRTY!![​IMG]
    Take it out and get that preety rig nice and muddy then re post a pic for us!![​IMG]
    Great job!!
    I think the perfict sticker for you would be
    "JEEP, It's Whats For Dinner"
    Rock ON! Bro

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

11. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Where is all of the rust.. Thats not a K5 there's no rust.. It cant be... Looks great Shawn. Did you buy that exhaust or custom make it??

12. Shawn

Thanks for the comments guys!

The non CV 1350 driveshaft wasn't binding up so you may be able to wait on that.

72junker was right. Metal Made Rite makes them. You can go here http://www.wyojeep.com/

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the exhaust. I am running Dynomax ceramics with Flowmasters. The only thing I don't like about the exhaust running out the back is the rear window sucks the fumes in and if they stick out too far they could get crushed off-road.

Mudzer- Those shackles will make your K5 look better than mine! I ramped it at Off Road LTD in Aurora, CO.

I have a 6" BDS lift (4" shackle flip, 2" springs in the rear)

Yes, that is a Warn Classic bumper with a Warn 12000lb winch. Warn also makes the brush guards. The front bumper is actually a little flimsy on the sides so I may go with a KMA or something else.

Longer front shocks can be done by using a Ford front shock tower from a 1980 F-250 part # 18183. This is next on my list along with relocating the rears.

Shawn
    87 K5

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I thought that the rveolvers weren't rated for our weight? That is what I was told, is this a different model Revolver or did you just get Jeep ones and hope they dont break?

Nice Blazer!!!!!!!!

Is there anyway to calulate a measurement taken from a front tire lift with a forlift into an RTI???
    Have you ever lifted a front or rear tire with a forklift and taken measurements? If so, what measurements did you get?
    Or even measure from the lowest point on the tire to the ground while on the ramp? That would give me an idea of what I am getting.

Sorry for all the questions..

Thanks and awesome K5!!!!!

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

14. Shawn

Burt-
    I'll get it muddy just for you man! Seems like when it is dirty, I never have film for my camera!

Blazerboy-
    It use to have rust where a body mounted tire carrier was. Luckly I was able to remove all of it before it spread. The exhaust was custom bent but I would prefer a mandrel bent system next time.

Mike-
    According to Curt at Metal Made Rite, the shackles are fine for the weight. The stock shackles don't look much stronger anyway. The Revolver are actually made for an XJ Jeep but fits perfect for the K5. If they do break for any reason, you guys will be the first to know. On the RTI, you could take the height from the forklift and transpose it on a ramp. Then measure the distance on the ramp and divide by 106.5 (wheel base) x 1000. If you don't live close to ramp, let me know the height and I might be able to figure it for you.

Thanks again for the comments. After all the time, money, and hard work spent, the good remarks make up for all of it.

Shawn
    87 K5

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Here is a simple formula to calculate RTI if you know how far a tire can be lifted off the ground (such as lifting a tire with a forklift).
    This ONLY works with the 106.5" wheelbase of the K5 ('73-'91) and assuming a 20 degree ramp.
    Measure from the bottom of the lifted tire to the ground.
    Multiply that number by 27.456 and you have the RTI if it was on a 20 degree ramp.
    Example:
    Bottom of tire is 36" off ground, 36 x 27.456 = 988 RTI
    Bottom of tire is 18" off ground, 18 x 27.456 = 494 RTI.......etc, etc.

If you have any questions about this, let me know.

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok dude,sounds good, i allways see your rig lookin preety it's time to get a photo of it lookin 'real world'!![​IMG]

On the RTI math deal, if you are to lift one tire how do you know when to stop?? Is it when the other front tire comes off the ground? Or when the tire hits the body? Oh mabie it's what ever occrs first, Ok thinking out loaud is good for my brain! Kinda like a kick start[​IMG]
    Let me know how you guys know when to stop!
    Thanks

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

17. Shawn

When the rear tire leaves the ground.

Shawn

18. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Nice Blazer Shawn, and it looks even better up in the ramp, take some muddy pictures and post them up I want to see it muddy too. later man.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

19. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Natures RTI Ramp Pictures

RTI pics look good Shawn, but I prefer natures ramp. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Steve

20. Shawn

Re: Natures RTI Ramp Pictures

So do I! Next time I'll go with you but you lead the way...

BTW- You don't happen to have a toggle switch on you do you Steve???

To fill everyone in, my switch died after the ramp test and Steve was with me. Both him and I were late getting back to work yesterday. It's always something. (Sorry Steve)

Shawn