Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new rubber for doors

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kiley, Apr 25, 2001.

1. kiley

kiley Registered Member

Has anyone installed new weatherstripping around the doors? I just spent $200 at Chevyduty and I'm not that happy with the fit. Any suggestions as to what needs to be done to "break in" new weatherstripping?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

What's the problem with the weatherstripping? Is it too thick or causing trouble closing the doors?

Does it still have air gaps? Is the material just very stiff?

-Greg72

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Wierd. The weatherstripping I got for my Blazer was from Chevy Duty too and it fit really nice. It was difficult to close the doors initially because the original door gaskets were shot and/or missing (and it seems that someone adjusted the doors for the dead/missing gaskets). They were just fine after readjusting the doors a little and letting the gaskets soften in the sun a little.

4. kiley

kiley Registered Member

The rubber seems too thick where the windshield meets the top of the door and the roof. Not sure if that made any sense. I had to really fight to get the top screwed back in. The top to window seals are fine exept where the door meets the top just behing the door lock. It's where you actually screw the rubber into the top. The thick part is just too tall. Instead of the window resting against the rubber it is forcesthe rubber to roll in. It actually tore a little and is getting worse each time I close the door. I will say that the passenger side is shutting better than the drivers side and after thinking about it the drivers side door does sag just a touch.

5. kiley

kiley Registered Member

How do you adjust the doors?

P. S. thanks to you both for responding, much appreciated.

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The holes for the mounting bolts on the hinges, doors, and body are over-sized and allow you to adjust the lateral, vertical, and longitudinal position and angle of the doors.

7. kiley

kiley Registered Member

I meant to thank you again for the info. The rubber has settled in a little and things fit better. I haven't tried to adjust the doors yet. The passenger side is actually pretty great although water leaks in through the rubber drip rails worse than the old ones did. The drivers side window cannot be rolled up unless the door is open. The glass "wants" to roll up behind the rubber instead of seating in front of it. The top is off for summer now so adjustments will have to wait!

72 cst http://www.kiley.coloradok5.com