Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Ruger KP345?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ncbloodhound, Sep 10, 2004.

1. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

Has anyone here seen the new Ruger KP345? I am going to look at one tomorrow. I am looking for a .45 a little lighter than my WWII issue .45. My current .45 is just too heavy and my wife has a hard time pulling the slide back.

I am also looking at a Beretta 92F or 92FS. I want something that I can easily carry.

Your thoughts on any of those...

The ruger looks pretty cool too. (Though that is not a reason I am considering it.)
    [​IMG]

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Avoid the Berreta. I would buy any Ruger made....

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Avoid the Berreta. I would buy any Ruger made....

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Avoid Chevy buy a Ford?

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am also looking at a Beretta 92F or 92FS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not from my personal knowledge, but a guy at my local gun store went on a tirade about this pistol costing Americans. He said it's the current military issue, fires great on the range, but becomes a paperwieght in water or sand. He says he's had family of servicemen coming in to buy glocks to ship over to them, because the 92FS jams so often.

Take it with a grain of salt, but after hearing his speech, I wouldn't buy one.

7. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I have friend who has put nearly 10,0000 rounds through his Beretta 92F. I don't own one, I prefer Glocks. But he has competed in 3 Gun Matches for years with the 92F, and it has been a favorite.

That said, If you are looking for a carry weapon why are looking at fullsize duty pistols?

I've sold Ruger pistols in the past but never owned one, so I have no personal opinion, other than Bill Ruger always built great gun.

If you are accustomed to your single action .45, check out a compact or mid-range (Commander) size SA. Every type of different pistol action has a different feel, ie. DA, SA, GA. Stick with SA (single action) if you've shot your .45 a lot. Your muscle memory is already used to it, so that's all I have to say.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ncbloodhound

[ QUOTE ]
    I have friend who has put nearly 10,0000 rounds through his Beretta 92F. I don't own one, I prefer Glocks. But he has competed in 3 Gun Matches for years with the 92F, and it has been a favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]
    After firing my heavy .45 the glocks just don't feel right in my hand. Plus, the Glock I rented was pretty wore out. If you touched the gun at all, the slide would snap forward. I still may look at them, but the rental glock left a bad taste in my mouth..

[ QUOTE ]

That said, If you are looking for a carry weapon why are looking at fullsize duty pistols?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am also going to look at some compacts today too. Also, this particular ruger is thinner than the compact CZ P-01 and just a little bit longer and taller.

[ QUOTE ]

If you are accustomed to your single action .45, check out a compact or mid-range (Commander) size SA. Every type of different pistol action has a different feel, ie. DA, SA, GA. Stick with SA (single action) if you've shot your .45 a lot. Your muscle memory is already used to it, so that's all I have to say.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all of the advice! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ncbloodhound

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't you be calling Rugers Fords now! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As for the gun

SUPER COOL QUINN REVIEW OF THE RUGER P345 COMPACT

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link! I especially like the picture with the Commander-sized S&W 1911 sitting on top of it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ncbloodhound

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I am also looking at a Beretta 92F or 92FS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not from my personal knowledge, but a guy at my local gun store went on a tirade about this pistol costing Americans. He said it's the current military issue, fires great on the range, but becomes a paperwieght in water or sand. He says he's had family of servicemen coming in to buy glocks to ship over to them, because the 92FS jams so often.

Take it with a grain of salt, but after hearing his speech, I wouldn't buy one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been shooting pistols long, but the only gun I have had jam on me so far was the 92F. The reason I am still considering it is because a friend of mine offerred me a good deal on his. Maybe that is why.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

From my personal experiance with the Beretta Military model the 92FS. It is a good weapon that works great in RAIN,SAND,DIRT and pretty much anything else you put at it. I would recommend it if you are just looking for a 9mm. I prefer a 45 because I want stopping power especially in the Job I am in (USMC). I have been a Rifle/Pistol instructer for the Marines for a few years now and really think its a durable weapon but like I said we want stopping power I think thats why I would trade it for a glock or another model. Hope this helps!!

12. ncbloodhound

Thanks for the info.

For today I got a Bersa Thunder .45. It was cheap and compact and has a lifetime warranty. I decided to get this gun for now and save up for an AR or nice compact .45 later. I fired my friend's AR-15 on Thursday and loved it!

As for the Beretta 92, maybe I will get that later. You can never have too many guns! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

You can never have too many guns! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats SOOOOO true!!!

14. Resurrection_Joe

Awww man should have got the Bersa .380, I want one bad!

15. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I guess it is just taste. I am still pissed they switched from the 45's to that piece of crap.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Diff gun (and 9mm i know, but when I was PD, they issued us Ruger P-95's....what a POS! 4 out of 7 had problems at the range-bent firing pins etc. Everyone was ditching the Ruger for somethin else (Sig or Berreta), we had no faith it would work in an OH SHEET! situation, and the running joke it would be retired as a $700 doorstop....

17. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

imo the 92f is junk.
    i was usmc sec forces japan and ours wore out from taking them apart! im not joking. i wouldnt depend on my life with one.this is not the opinion of a buddy,rumor etc. its mine. i was there. the 92 f jammed alot, and frequently. the only gun i have personal experiance with that can compete with unreliability/lack of durability is a smith 4046.

i carry glock at work, and 1991a1 .45 off duty.
    ive concealed carried hk usp,p7m12, sig 226,smith 4046 (duty too) ,smith.357,smith .38,walther ppk,para ordnace p12,

18. Resurrection_Joe

You (your department) payed $700 bucks for a Ruger? Wow..........

Anyway, no problems from mine yet