Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New SAS Spring Hangers

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Eastcoast 4WD, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Eastcoast 4WD

Eastcoast 4WD Registered Member

We are going to begin making SAS leaf spring hangers for IFS truck due to the demand for a quality product at a reasonable price. From most of the threads I've read most people's opinion is that the ORU Brackets are on the expensive side. We will be starting with th 32" width brackets first b/c that will fit the most axle models. I am looking for the following input from you guys:

1. What do you want to see included in the kit? Shock Mounts, Spring
    Plates, Bump Stop Mounts ?

2. Does in need to be a kit or would you rather have just the Hangers?

3. What distance between the brackets to achieve proper shackle angle?
    It seems that many of you who used the ORU kit were not happy with
    Angle they built in.

4. Bolt on or Wled on? Or a kit for each?

5. Price? What would be a reasonable price so that most of you guys would
    say "It's not worth my time trying to make them my self"

We look foward to your feed back.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't plan on doing a SAS anytime soon, but 2 of my friends recently installed them. One was an ORU on a '96 Z71 and the other was a Fabritech on an '03 2500HD. I can offer some suggestions (in red print) from their complaints.

Originally Posted by Eastcoast 4WD

We are going to begin making SAS leaf spring hangers for IFS truck due to the demand for a quality product at a reasonable price. From most of the threads I've read most people's opinion is that the ORU Brackets are on the expensive side. Yes, WAY overpriced. We will be starting with th 32" width brackets first b/c that will fit the more axle models. I am looking for the following input from you guys:

Plates, Bump Stop Mounts ? A trac-bar would be nice. When sitting still and turning the steering wheel, the ORU shackles flex left/right over an inch because the crossover steering is pushing the truck to the side as the tie rod tries to turn the wheels. They flex side to side while driving also. Some weld-on dual shock hoops would be cool also.

2. Does in need to be a kit or would you rather have just the Hangers? Both would be nice. Some people have limited fab skills/equipment and have different plans for their truck.

Angle they built in. The ORU angle does suck, but I don't know a measurement to correct it. Having shackles a little longer than the ORU shackles would be nice. DO NOT MAKE THE SHACKLES WITH A 9/16" HOLE FOR THE SPRINGS! The ORU shackles have a 9/16" hole, when the springs have a 7/16" bolt. I think the hole should be 7/16" so it can be drilled out to whatever size is needed.

4. Bolt on or Wled on? Or a kit for each? My friends bolted there's on, and then partially welded the brackets to keep them from squeaking or moving.

5. Price? What would be a reasonable price so that most of you guys would
    say "It's not worth my time trying to make them my self"

We look foward to your feed back.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i might just be asking to much hear but a 2x4 set also. as lots of us have 2x4 trucks and thay are much cheeper and more of them avalible. my 1ton crew cab would look great up high with 4x4. and i have the divorced case and gm axle ready to swap in.

plus it would be great if we could figure out a longer spring like thay did for better ride. but i think thers is custom made.

100% for sure keep up the idea as i would buy a kit for my truck cause the 73-87 stuff is getting hard to find up hear in the rust belt.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

all of the places making 4x4 conversions are now manning up and saying they will work on 2x4s. Which I think has always been the case. The bigg issue with 2x4 is the need for the frame modification if you are going to sit low. To many thats a big issue they don't want to take on.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the crossmember would have to be a cutom deal unless someone came up with a simple way to cut out the old one and bolt a new one up but i doubght that could happen...

6. Eastcoast 4WD

Hey lets get one thing straight here... a 2x4 is a piece of wood... we aren't making anything out of wood for our trucks, if you are then get out of my thread... just kidding I would certainly entertain the idea of making a bracket that fits a 2wd chassis. If it created a substantial front crossmember then it would be perfectly acceptable to cut out the interfereing crossmember.

7. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

Plates, Bump Stop Mounts ?

2. Does in need to be a kit or would you rather have just the Hangers?

options would be nice... like have just the brackets available or have a full kit with shock mounts etc. i know i would just want brackets (doing ford towers)

Angle they built in.

well first of all i would realy like to see a kit made to accept 52s. i know thats what im using. so far from what ive figured out on my hanger design is to move the front spring hole forward 3" from the ORU location(would theoreticaly move the axle centerline .5" more forward than ORU). then the top rear shackle mount would remain in the same location as the ORU hanger but possibly moved forward 1" using about a 5" shackle... havent realy finalized it all yet, just throwing some things around

im also looking at making mine to utilize flat bar style shackles. unlike the ORUs(which use those offset shackles) which would require the inboarding of the exact "bushing" placement about .5" or so per side (i hope that makes sense). but keep it in the same vertical location (top shackle hole 4" from the bottom of the frame)

also a new integrated xmember is a great idea

4. Bolt on or Wled on? Or a kit for each?

bolt on... you can always weld it up later

5. Price? What would be a reasonable price so that most of you guys would say "It's not worth my time trying to make them my self"

$300-400ish?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

ok, you just lost my business. there's no way i want anyone with a sense of humor building parts for my truck. :haha:

too bad i just ordered the Off Road Direct kit a couple days ago. ah well, this is still in the planning stage, ma ybe i'll get my brackets in time for some educated input on this subject to help make yours that much better.

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd like to see a kit that uses 56" springs or even 57' ford springs priced below $500. And off the conversion kits and home built jobs I'd like to something stouter for the shackle hangers. the bolt on Idea is cool that way you could weld it up solid and know it was in correct alingment. maybe a 2" receiver in front hanger crossmember

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I agree on the shackle hangers thing. I've not found any of the ones produced very beefy. If it means a few extra dollars for a better product(I'm not saying more than ORU, haha).

11. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

Options are nice. 52"s would be great on the front. One thing that bothers me with ORU other than the rediculous price is they seem to think you have to use at least 3.5" springs. I'd like my truck to sit 4"-6" above stock,no more. I pull a gooseneck trailer a lot but want a Solid Axle. Would need to be avaliable for 01'+ HD's so I can do my
    D-Max :D . Hopefully you'll have one ready by the time I find a cheap 79' D60.

12. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

hell, I'd just like to see SOMETHING for the '99 and up body style 1500's. for some reason, none of the other companies seem to care about them. plenty of kits out there for 88-98 body style, and '01 and up HDs...but very little for new body style half tons. so, yeah...that's what I'd be interested in.

13. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

Any updates. I'm seriously thinking of doing my D-Max this fall.

14. Eastcoast 4WD

One of my subs- just got an '06 duramax and we are woirking out the details on his sas right now.

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

16. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

Eastcoast 4WD: What's up with that deal? You a one man shop that's overly busy? I hope that's the case. Anyway,what are you thinking cost wise on these? I'd really like to do my D-Max.

17. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

make this deal right with the other member hate to see you get a bad reputation unless it's deserved . be careful the "wolves" are circling

18. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

what ever happened with this?

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

hasnt been here in almost 2 months...

20. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Edit: That was in poor taste and I apologize.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006