Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new seal, now back window won't close?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Mar 3, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

new seal, now back window won\'t close?

I just replaced all the seals o nmy top...except for the ones on the window, which I think leak...but anyway, the back window seal is pretty good, but the window doesn't want to go up all the way. Its like the seal is too think, and its getting stuck. I have a feeling this is pretty common, but what will cure it? Heat? The other new seals were a really tight fit too. Couldn't get the top completely on till it was bolted down. Have no worries about it leaking there now...

2. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Re: new seal, now back window won\'t close?

I have a similar problem, except mine is real tight (tight enough that the crank exploded the other day while rolling it up) it still goes up and down though. but any way to the top for some more replys /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

I have to walk mine up the last inch or so with my hand. I still have the factory seals. My crank is grenaded too, it only grabs 1/4 cog at a time.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It the window is lining up correctly in the seal, then chances are that you need more power or some lubricating inside the tailgate. For more power, you will have to check/clean the safety switches and wiring, and/or replace the motor unit.

I have this dream of running 10 gauge wire all the way from the battery to the tailgate and having a DC-DC converter and control unit inside the tailgate. Then whenever you hit the dash or key switch, that unit would pump out a regulated 18V to the window motor, whether the engine was running or not. But it would take too long for me to build and when everything is right, the factory setup works pretty decent.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Where'd the replacement seals come from?

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

got the seals at LMC. window was a lot slower the first time I rolled it up with the new ones...actually the only time...kina figured I needed to lube it up...whatshould I lube?