Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New seat, and now I'm bummed....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Jun 19, 2003.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

New seat, and now I\'m bummed....

Here's my latest tale: Upholstery on my driver's seat is going south - a great excuse to get a new seat.

A few weeks ago I ordered a suspension seat from Mastercraft. It's a Prerun model, the tallest and the most thigh support without being a full race seat. Measurements seemed o.k. to me. It came in yesterday, nice, blue with grey cloth, looks cool, a quality product. Company was worried about it fitting and possibly being too tall, but I think I got that part figured out. The seat is not too tall - quite to the contrary.

Trouble is, it's perfect for my wife, but it seems too low for me /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I'm only 6'1, but the shoulder area of the seat ends 4" below my shoulders, and the headrest also seems very low. The seat feels good and comfortable regarding hip containment and support in the lower part of the seat, but the size of the backrest is the issue - I don't want to snap my neck in case I get rearended. Claudia sez it looks as if I'm sitting in a kid seat.....

I've looked around, and there aren't any taller suspension seats around (Mastercraft/Beard/Corbeau). Now these seats are touted as THE off-road race seats - but it can't be that all the off-road/Baja racers are all 5'5/145lbs so they fit in those seats?? Or are they?

So, what now? I called Mastercraft about taller seats (I was ready to get another one and use this one for the passenger side), but they are definitively less enthusiastic on the phone as compared to when I ordered this seat. They say it'll settle a bit, but couldn't tell me how much. I also got less enthusiatic and put my credit card away.

I suppose I could always use it as office furniture, that would certainly look cool........

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: New seat, and now I\'m bummed....

i have corbeau Baja SS seats in my rig. The "head rest" is to low to be a legit head rest... but Ive never had any comfort issues at all related to the shoulder area. In fact, the baja ss is the most cozy seat Ive ever had to priviledge to sit in, and my back is generally really picky about seats too. Im almost 6'1".
    my baja ss seats, installed

j

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

Sorry to hear that. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but I don't. Good luck with the search and let me know if you find something. I'm 6'-1" also.

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Don't now if this helps http://www.redart.com/streetat.asp They give you all the dimesions on the site.. If you find one that you think will work PM me.. I know one of the dealers...

5. jms

Thanks - according to the dimensions, the Beards seats are the same height, but have less thigh support (18" vs. 20"). That's why I went w/ the Mastercraft seat. BTW, backrest on the stock seat is the same as the Mastercraft seat. I just didn't realize how much my 220lbs compress the worn seat cushions, so the headrest is high enough on the stocker....

I have the seat on the driver's side on a temporary mount right now, I really like the look and the seating position. I will contact Mastercraft again - there's got to be a way to do this.

6. jms

Will do Dave. At least, I've managed to get my accountant/administrator at the University nervous. I haven't spent out my budget for office furnishings, and the seat is well within my budget. So when I mentioned that I want a new "office chair" yesterday, it got a few people squirming quite a bit.... at least I got some fun out of the seat already.

BTW, axle surgery on the Lowrider starts on Saturday. My D60 rear is almost ready to go in. High time to get those MT/R's off the garage floor and on the truck.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I had Flofit seats in my K5............loved them. I'm 6'4", 205 and they fit perfectly. Cost about $400 apiece delivered to my door with the mounts. www.seatsource.com has them. Just another option. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Understand something about a "race seat" of that style. Your shoulders are supose to be clear so you can move them without restrictions when your cranking the steering wheel.. The head rest is designed for you to be able to wear a helmet. It's not going to be like a Nascar seat that has a place for your helmet to tie into. Baja your moving around a lot and the seat was designed to keep your butt and your torso in place and not restrict your movement otherwise.

The thing to look at, if yours has it is where the slots are for the shoulder belts. They should be no more then 3-4 inches below your shoulder hight. If that's where they are then the seat is fitting you as designed. If it has no shoulder slots then that may also be a reason for the backrest hight. It gives room for 4 or 5 points to poperly fit over your shoulders.

9. jms

Hmm... I was told that the headrest (particularly the angle/pitch) on that seat was designed for use w/o a helmet. I'll check on the shoulder slots though, good point.

Shoulder width/containment is not so much of a concern - it's the height (or lack thereof) of the headrest that bothers me. If I remember right, you should make contact with the headrest slightly above ear level. For me, it's a bit below that.

I sat in it some more yesterday, and it seems it'll give an inch easy. Butt/lower torso containment is great. I mocked it up a bit higher than stock (~1" front/~2" rear) and really like the seating position, plenty of room for legs, arms relaxed and not stretched out to reach the steering wheel.

I will keep the one I have now - it'll go on the passenger side; it fits Claudia perfectly. Not sure yet what I'm going to do for driver's side; maybe with some more whining they'll make me one with a 2-3" higher headrest.....