Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Seat Belts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jul 28, 2000.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I have something I want to do to my new blazer I want to replace the seat belts, the ones I have now when you jam on brakes or pull on them they won't lock, I have played with them for a long time and I can't get them to lock. They also won't retract a lot of times, so I just decided to replace them, I can get my dad to pick the bill up for them b/c I kinda need working seatbelts. But I have a problem I know how to get all the bolts off but where the seat belt retracts I can't get that cover off, there is a panel on the bottom that I can pop off and there is a bolt shaped like a start behind it but that is all. I was wondering if anyone knows how to take it off. It is an 88 Blazer. Here is a picture of it. Also does anyone know where I can get some replacement seat belts? Attached is a picture of the box. Thanks!

PS- Are air horns illegal? My dad says he thinks they are, I think he is wrong, I want a 118 db one.

-Dawson

2. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

You will need the star screw driver tool to take it off, or if you can find a pair of channel locks to fit on it you may be able to turn them and they should just unscrew like a regular bolt. We took ours off with the channel locks, since we couldn't find the tool to do it with...the garage is a mess! Good luck.

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com

I'd rather push my Chevy than drive a Ford!

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, you have to use a torx screwdriver to get that bolt off(you could also use an Allen wrench). Not sure where the other bolts are, or if there even are any more. You can get some new belts from http://www.andoauto.com, http://www.jcwhitney.com, or you can even get them at the dealer, but they're expensive from the dealer.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You need a torqs bit I think the size is a 50 just tell them this at a parts or tool dist.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

No you don't need any of that just a big hammer... but seriously folks make sure no matter what you where ware whear wair your seat belt, just hitting the windshield at 25 really hurts and is no good for your spelling either

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Something is wrong with mine too. If I lean forward at all and then lean back it doesn't retract. For some reason it gets fixed when I open the door so I've gotten pretty good at opening the door while moving.

90K5

7. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

my 90 dos the same thing

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

8. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

mine doesnt retract either unless i open the door. there is a spring loaded 'thing' on the reel of the belt. mine broke. this 'thing' allows for retraction under normal conditions.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

9. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

I don't have any advice on how to take the old belts off, but I do recomend JcWhitney as a place to get the new seatbelts. This where I got mine and they work really good and they are not really expensive.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"