Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New sending unit now can't pump gas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by akbound, Jan 9, 2005.

1. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Help!! I wrassled with the gas tank and installed a new sending unit and new hoses at the tank on my '76 Blazer and now it won't take gas at more than a trickle. :confused:

I hooked up everything like it was before. Is it possible that LMC had some kind of plug on the underside of the vent line? I honestly didn't even look.

Any ideas?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

delete

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm pretty sure he's talking about filling the tank, not emptying it. check your filler hose/tube for kinks. i'd almost bet that is where you'll find your problem.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oh, ok, my bad, im pretty tore p right now, i should go to yahoo ro somewhere

well thats a vent problem yeah check vent hose at top of tank by filler, some of these trucks have this problem from factory, hard to fill, takes forever

good luck

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

But what if it's not a vent problem? If I completely, completely fill the tank gas does come back up through the vent tube.

Oh yeah takes me a good ten minutes to put right at three gallons in. Bugs the crap outta me.

:mad:

6. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

It must be a problem with the vent. I guess I will take the hose off the vent and put on a longer one and see if I can blow through it. :confused:

I really don't want to drop the tank again.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

is a pretty common problem on these vehicles, do some inspecting of the 3/4" or so vent hose and tube at the filler neck down there, has to be problem with it, thats how fill venting takes place and it has to, air has to get out of tank when gas goes in, science of volume displacement

is plugged, kinked, collapsed, something, there is a cause/reason, has to be at the filler setup there, get flashlight out, poke around, check hose closely, make filler opening bigger, maybe its a bad filler(metal part that you put nozzle into in the bed side, the metal spring loaded flap door in there)
    look in it and around it, flashlight,

good luck

8. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Pumpin!

The vent hose was kinked above the tank. Luckily I lubed the hoses when I put them on so I was able to wiggle the outboard one far enough to take the kink out. Thanks! :)