Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Server

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Jan 31, 2002.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I had to double the RAM just to be able to get it to "slow" anyway, I need to dump a bunch of the old posts in this forum, you will notice the newer forums are faster, then I still have to optimize the tables as well as upgrade the software that also will make it faster and add some cool extra features, so please hold on. I plan on setting this forum to only keep meassages up to 60 days after that they will auto delete, but I do plan on creating a few tech forums for the good stuff to be moved into.
    Just an FYI, the server load was up over 200 at times, with the extra RAM it is down to 4 curently, but 1 or less is ideal.
    Also, if you have any threads marked as faviorites you might want to save them off just in case they are older than 60 days.

Thanks for understanding guys, I need to finish taking care of the server issues then get your orders out along with activating memberships.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

thanks a lot steve...i was having withdrawals from not being able to get in man...

i just ordered a sweatshirt and the moab video...cant wait to get that stuff either...

thanks again man

Later

Just tap it in...tappity tap tap...

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

no prob, boss.
    just let us know if there's anything else we can do...

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

How do I "save off" a favorite thread? Good ol' cut'n'paste?

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks StevO!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

if you wanna save the links etc. then go to edit, view source, and then save the file as a .htm or .html file

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Steve, would it be possible to archive the old posts? I'm not sure about others, but I've gone back 3-6 months a few times looking for info, it would be nice if there was a text archive or something that was available/searchable.

Also, any possiblity of a CK5 discount (or free shipping) with Scoggin Dickey? Been holding out on that $450 TPI intake until I can get some kind of deal : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

thanks steve!!! You have no idea how cool the site being down was! I got a ton of stuff done to my truck because of you!!! GRACIAS. [​IMG]

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Duh. Thanks! I took my dunce cap off now!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

10. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

that's what i was wondering,,i've gone back a year on some thing's to find out answer's to certain question's.

laketex was the only one who actually accomplished more when the site was down then when it was running,,lmao.
    don't tell steve that,,he might do it once a month just to get some of us moving in the right direction again instead of toiling over which thing to put where next,,lol.

i hadn't been here for a few day's and needed a fix last night, but alas,it never came[​IMG]
    i hadda go to that " other " site and skim round there some [​IMG]
    AND I SAW A LOT OF YOU OTHER GUY'S HIDING OVER ON THE PIRATE BOARD ALSO !! BUSTED !! [​IMG]
    im telling steve and he's going to ban you from here now !!
    i was just looking for everyone else steve,,honest [​IMG]

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you're using Internet Explorer 5.5, you can just click on "File" then "Save As" and name the page. When you double click on that file, it will open in a browser and look just like you're logged into the site. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Steve, please consider tuning the database before you decide to start blowing stuff away. I think it would be detrimental to lose many of the old threads. (Well, anything with the following in the title can probably be nuked: "What size tire will fit", "What size lift", "Where can I find a 14-bolt", ad nauseum). [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

13. CK5

I'm looking into saving off the old stuff right now.

Steve

14. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Steve, is there more tweeking to do to make it faster ? Just curious if this is the speed we will be seeing from now on ???

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

15. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

As a fellow systems administrator for another car club web site and message board, I understand your pain. Thankfully, our board isn't nearly as busy as this one!

BTW, what are the specs on the server you're using? Maybe I can donate some of my unused hardware to the cause!

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

16. CK5

Reread the original post, I still have some tweaking to do and if it's still slow I can invest in a faster yet server with more ram, but need to see how this goes first and need to generate more revenue to pay for it.

Stats: PIII - 733 with 512 RAM and 13 GB disk space, this server is maxed on 512 ram but the next larger server can go to 2 gig ram which would smoke your shorts off, but need to see a return first. It's hard to sell nontangable items such as memberships but we will see how it goes.

Steve

17. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

hey, I'd say that us, as members, can suck it up until you've got the supporting revenue. things are faster then they were, and personally I think it is tolerable.

I think your intial hits are going to be harder anyway cuz the site was down for while. let a week pass, and things settle back into normal.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

18. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Man is this new server great! So much faster, if I would have known you were upgrading, I would have donated money for this. Thanks Steve.

Work or 4 wheel? Work or 4 wheel? Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.....Screw work, lets go!

19. CK5

I'm toying with the idea of getting a faster server with 2 gig of RAM, but it's going to cost me a fortune. Speed costs... well you know the rest.

Steve

20. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve, would it be possible for some of us to purchase "Lifetime Memberships" for maybe a couple hundred bucks? Maybe that would help you buy the new server, and we would be members forever without having to worry about paying again. Just a suggestion.

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?