Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New shocks, for burb. Which ones?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Jan 10, 2005.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My dad has a 1998 Suburban 1/2 with 130K and original shocks. While towing the 27' snowmobile trailer the rear wants to bob up and down a little on bad, bumpy roads.

What shock is basically the best out there? A shock that will help combat the up and down bobbing while towing but also not stiffen up the suspension too much when not in tow is desired. We were looking at the RS5000 Rancho and Pro Comp ES3000's, are the adjustable shocks really worth it? Thanks guys! :)

2. rjfguitar

Anyone?

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Everybody tells me that the Bilsteins are the shiznit ... I donno, as I'm too cheap to have any :D

-- A

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just got some $15 from the scratch and dent from Superlift on eBay. They work great.

5. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

bilsteins! I had them on my 97 stock and then got cheap and went with superlifts at 110k and I think the old bilsteins rode better than the new superlifts.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

everyone says the adjustable ones are junk, but i sure like my rancho 9000s. i always turn them up w/ heavy loads and it makes a huge difference. i bought mine just causs they were having a buy 3 get one free deal. if i was to buy them again, i'd get the adjustable pro comps, since they are mono tube design.

7. rjfguitar

So Chevy used Bilsteins stock? I crawled under the burb and found Biltsteins but figured the previuos owner put them on.

Jonny-K5, thanks for your thoughts on the adjustable shocks. Anyone else running the adjustable shocks?

8. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

i'd go with the rancho 5000's. they absorb shock in both upward and downward compressions. heck you can even run them upside down with out any troubles. shouldn't try it with procomps or superlifts. they tend to go out really quick upside down. RANCHO is the way to go.

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i thought all rancho shocks are triple tube, and all triple tube shocks cant run upside down. procomp ajustables are the only ones i know that are adjustable and mono tube.

i used to have 5000's on my truck. i thought they were a little stiff. besides, most shocks absorb up and down dont they?

10. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

i hear that rs5000's and es3000's are built by the same company. I run the es3000's just because I like the pro-comp name/quality. good shocks.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Pro comps are just the only inexpensive, adjustable monotubes.

12. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

not all chevys just the Z71's

13. rjfguitar

So a '98 4wd burb would not have bilsteins stock then? The burb doesn't have the Z71 package right? I guess the previous owner put them on then :confused: . My dad ordered the Roadmaster Susupension System out of summit. It is a little coil spring that sits horizontally on top of the leaf pack and is connected to the back of the spring and the u-bolts. It looks like the Rancho Kicker shocks. It is supposed to control axle wrap, bring up the spring rate for less sagging, and help control swaying. We will find out today.

14. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

No, some burbs came with them.. Dunno what option package was needed to get it though.

I would go with Bilstein, in fact, thats what I use on several of my rigs.

My .02,
    John

15. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

bilsteins are part of the z71 package. The only diff between z71 and others is bilstein shocks decals and skid plates

16. rjfguitar

Ok, but according to 83ZZ502 some burbs did get Biltseins and I have never seen a burb with the Z71 package.

Anyway, I guess shocks are now out of the question, the burb has Bilsteins and I removed one and the cylinder is still in good shape. Tommorrow morning we will be installing the Roadmaster suspension system. Hopefully it helps pulling the snowmobile trailer because thats about all there is left that can, besides air bags.