Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ankarback, Jan 13, 2005.

1. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I´m looking for new shocks for my Blazer. Does someone know how long the shocks should be for a Blazer with 4 inch lift? So far I´ve only found shocks for a stock Blazer and they are too short.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Most manufacturers have listings for lifted trucks. My'91 is stock and has Edelbrock which are great shocks but they don't list them for lifted K5's so i ended up Procomp ES3000 which are cheap and quite good. I got mine from Explorer Procomp in England www.explorerprocomp.co.uk .

Don't get Rancho 5000 etc or the dearer procomp ones unless you like a firm ride.
    I don't know the actual lengths but Procomp may be able to help but there is only 1 guy there that deals with that stuff so you may have to call back a couple of times.

3. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.

/Johan

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Gabrial makes shocks that fit 4" lifted trucks

G63436 is the front
    G63437 rear

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I just put on a set of Tuff Country SX8000's... well, the rear half of the set. Front'll prolly go on this weekend.

http://www.tuffcountry.com/

lists applications for various lifts, including 4" on our trucks, with part numbers; this may be helpful for you to order or to cross reference?

-- A

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

www.superlift.com There is an application guide. They have the ones for a 4" lift.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

There was a really popular shock back a while ago (when I was still harcore fabbing my truck) that was I think Gabriel, and long as hell, and cheap

Anyone remember?

8. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Now it´s getting hard to choose:) Actually,the ExplorerProcomp seems very nice. Anyone here that´s using the Gabriels?

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Johan,

You can also take a measurement between the mounts at static ride height (I'm assuming that you already have the lift installed?)

Once you have that measurement, you can compare that number to the manufacturers shock tables....when you look at the "extended" and "compressed" values you should look for something that will have a "mid-value" as close to your actual measurement as possible.

Using that technique will allow you to validate the recommendations of the vendors, and make a choice that is more tailored to your specific vehicle and ride height.

10. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

I Just Put On A Set Of Superlifts For A Four Inch Lift These Are The Best Shocks That I Personally Ever Used