Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new shocks!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, May 6, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok so i contacted west texas off road and they told me no prob on getting the shocks i want, but i need to get measurements of what i need. ok no prob i can measure them!!
    but where do i measure, what is she looking for, i dont want to get the wrong shocks for my 6inch lift
    any help?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Cycle the suspension and measure. Here's an article that covers suspension cycling here .

You shouldn't be that extreme though, just get your suspension at full droop, then fully compressed and measure each time, this should get ya where you need to the be.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

pretty nifty article there. I never really have done any kind of measurements... i just ordered the longest travel ones they have and then custom mounted the front/rear shocks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

4. purple76pearl

thanks for the article man, helped me out alot
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. purple76pearl

one more things, since you have been around alot, and prob know your shi^ can you help me with this cross over steering /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I know nothing about crossover steering. My technical wizbang knowledge is limited to shocks. Sorry.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

crossover steering is simply a system where the pitman arm that comes off of your steering box is attached to a drag link that runs over to a passanger side steering arm as opposed to the stock setup which attaches to a steering arm on the drivers side. Here's a good pic of how my system looks...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/63209924/63211121xoSoIr

the steering box is the thing with the "redneck ram" sticker on it... the pitman arm is the flatened-Z shaped thing bolted to the bottom of the steering box... which is in turn bolted to the draglink...the drag link is that long tube-shaped thing that goes over the top of the leaf springs. the drag link attaches to the steering arm on the passanger side. Dunno if all that was clear or not...

j