Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New smog rules starting 2003

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by CRAWLIN70, Dec 6, 2002.

1. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

I have a friend that owns a smog shop. he got a letter today from the air board! starting 2003 1974 becomes exempt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yeaaaa hawwwwwwwwwwwwwww /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

good news for us 4wd owners. even though i own 73 and older already...lol...

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

lemme know when 1977 becomes exempt /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Can you ask him if they go by registration or by build date?
    My jeep was built in 74 and registered 75, I would realy want to ditch all the AIR on it but smog is my problem.

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Sweet!Iv got no smog stuff on my 74 anyway cuz of its GVW but I will be happy not to plunk down $50 or $60 every other year at the test only station /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

They go by the registration.Vehicles built after the 9th month are tagged as the next model year on most cars.My Cherokee was built on 10-76 but its registered as a 77.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Zakk, there's supposed to be a rolling 30 year exemption starting next year. Not sure why '74 is going to be exempt though, so maybe they changed it. </font color>

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well Yeeeeha!
    I think in 2007, 1977 will be smog exempt.
    I remember going over this a few times to figure out when our jeep will be exempt as well as my dads 77 truck.
    Hopefully in 2005 '75 will be exempt. Smog is the only thing thats really keeping us from having the jeep legal for the street. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

From experience at a smog shop........they go by registration!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually it was supposed to be a 25 year, that's why 73 has been exempt for quite some time, the thing is, I remember they were supposed to do that in bunches every 5 years, so it should have been 74-79 but I guess they still want our money.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

This is off of the BAR's website...www.smogcheck.ca.gov another thing i learned on there is that if your truck is fulltime 4wd it can't go on the dyno! sucks that mine is switched to part time!!!!!!!!!!! I have to go to a test only station in FEB.

Q: When will my post-1974 model year vehicle become exempt from Smog Check?

A: 1974 and subsequent model year vehicles will be exempt from Smog Check when they turn 30 years old. Under current law, a 1974 model year vehicle will be exempt in 2003, a 1975 in 2004, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: My 1974 model year vehicle was built in 1973. Why isn't it exempt from Smog Check?

A: Many 1974 model vehicles were built in 1973; however, the Smog Check exemption is based on model year, not date of manufacture, so these vehicles are not exempt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I have a vehicle that is four model years old or newer. My DMV registration renewal notice says it must have Smog Check, but I thought it was exempt from the biennial Smog Check requirement.

A: It is excused from its biennial Smog Check until it is five model years old. DMV computers will recognize the exemption and process your renewal accordingly. These cars must be smogged prior to a change of ownership, however.

Q: Why isn't my vehicle exempt? It's less than five years old.

A: Vehicles four model years old and newer (model years 1998-2001, for registrations due after 1/1/2001) are not required to have a biennial Smog Check performed until their fifth year. However, these vehicles must have a Smog Check performed if the vehicle is sold or being registered in California for the first time during that time.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just put the full-time hubs back on and claim ignorance! You'll probably get away with it without a problem... </font color>

12. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have a set of full-time hubs? Thats what we are going to do... but i need to find some.
    Sara

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

well, can you say PLEASE.
    Swing by and pick them up, go smog it and bring them back.
    I will not part with them.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

THANK YOU!! I was just about to make a post asking if anyone wants to lend some out :-)

Can we put them on over there? hehe

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah you can