Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new spark plugs and wires.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by unick, Dec 30, 2003.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Im planning on doing some work to the truck tomorrow. Im gonna change the trans and engine oil and hopefully replace the spark plugs and wires. Im thinking that NGK platinum plugs would be good but im not sure on what kind of wires to use. Any suggestions??

LMK
    Nick

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I use good ole AC Delco plugs on mine.

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Im looking for a little better performance.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

im not sure why you'd run NGK plugs in a GM product.. i just replaced my plugs with delco r45t's and delco makes kick ass plugs.. i had ngk plugs and accel 8mm wires on my 87 4runner.. ngk plugs are good, but id suggest some delco plugs, as your air cleaner said from the facotry "keep your gm car all gm" accel wires are good, as are MSD and Taylor.. i have seen taylors come apart at the boot, but not often..

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

AC delco makes very good performance plugs. THose newer Bosch plugs look interesting. DONT GET SPLITFIRE, THEY ARE JUNK.

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

newer bosch plugs? surely you dont mean the +4 plugs do you? dont run those.. if you want to get into plug technology, take a note from the ford boys who run "torqmaster" plugs (i think thats spelled right) in their forced induction Lightnings..

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

yea those bosch plugs suck. they burned a hold in this guy i knows piston.

Nick

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

AC's definately! I've used boshe (about ayear), champion truck plugs (maybe 6 months) and my dad used AC's before I got the truck from him for years, the current set of Ac's have been there 3 years /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Accell cap, coil, rotor and wires with AC plugs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I run ac delcos too! But I side-gap mine. Old circle track trick. You gap them regular , then file the end off until it is halfway over the electrode tip. I fires down AND across that way. I also run a colder plug ( one step down , or truck/marine plugs) since I am in Arizona. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

AC Delco for the plugs and Taylor Spiro Pro wires /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

In my opinnion platinum plugs are not a performance plug. They are best sutied for Grandma to putt around town with.

11. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Ok well I went out and got some AC Delco Rapidfire plugs and bosch wires. Hopefully they will be worth all the money I spent on them.

Nick

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW I heard a rumor that NGK is making AC Delco plugs now anyways. Not sure if it's true, but if you've followed the Delco plugs in the last year or so, you'll remember that different plugs styles (r45 for isntance) changed things like insulator length, the threaded metal portion length, etc.

Haven't seen anything official, but I don't doubt it one bit.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im running accel "super stock" 8mm wires with bocsh platnums..they seem to be fine...didnt notice any real kind of a performance difference though..i would just go with delcos..thats what i had in my truck befor..

14. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Almost all the standard plusg tip type spark plugs are the same. The main difference is in metal hardness and heat range. If your have an oil-burning engine or other deposits the Champion plugs have a softer metal (and need to be changed more often), but they also stay cleaner for less fouling. Almost all the other plugs use the same metal hardness.

Are you running HEI? What plug gap? You can open your gap .002 - .004 for more power, but less mileage out of the plug (insignificant really). Get a bigger coil, open the gap more, and you get better power and less use (again).

You can decrease your gap (.002 - .004) for a little less power, better low RPM power and gas mileage, and longer plug life.

Good luck, have fun.

As I recall the rapid fires have a jagged edge on their anode and provide a better spark, but they wear faster and degrade their spark faster.

15. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

MSD makes a NICE set of wires

16. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i highly recomend AC Delco plugs, and Borg Warner wires if you can find them. i dont remember where it was i read it, but one of the magazines i read did a head to head with several different plug wire mfrs, and Borg Warner not only came out on top for low resistance, but also for durability.