Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Speedo Cable But Same Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aandpman, Jan 25, 2004.

1. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Just installed a new speedo cable on my 88 K-5. Bought at AutoZone. Lubed inner piece well first with vaseline /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Before install the speedometer was vascillating and wouldn't hold a constant speed reading, thus making the cruise control surge & hunt. Last week when it was really cold (for you Non-Texans that means cold enough for frost on the ground ) It got really bad, bounced all over the place and I could hear it's little griding noise behind the dash.

After installing the cable this morning, I took 'er for a test run and voila' - same problem. Well, almost. No wild bouncing and weird noises (but it's 73* here today) but it still hunts around enough (5 mph or so at speed) that the cruise isn't getting a steady signal, causing the cruise to hunt.

Anyone ever solve this problem? Is my speedo going out? Are my little TC gears wearing out? What's next.

Confused in Crockett /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

sounds like your speedo is going out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

3. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

I dont think the speedo is bad. I had a similar problem with my 89. If you did not replace the cable and casing, only the cable, first, you should use white grease. Where the cable goes into the tranny is a tight bend. Disconnect it, from both ends and clean it out with brake clean, then I used some pipe cleaners at the tranny end to clean all of the crap out. Try it.

4. aandpman

Actually I replaced the cable and casing (why not it was cheap enough...), using all the original brackets and the metal track used to keep the bend radius at the TC.

5. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

It's the speedometer itself. The part in back of it that the cable goes into is starting to gum up and eat the bushing. Take it out and use some some penetrating oil to free it up and clean it out. If you don't it will eventually freeze up completely and the needle will just do circles. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. aandpman

Thanks I'll give that a try.