Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Speedo...How to Add Mileage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Mar 11, 2003.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I just got my new speedometer in the mail today. It's nice to see 000003 miles on the odometer. If I were to match the mileage up to my old odometer, how would I go about doing that? I've tried turning the cable connector spindle on the back with my power drill but that proved useless (it will take days if not weeks). Could I take both speedos to the dealer and have the new one certified? How does that work? Or should I just leave it at 0? I'm not planning on getting rid of the truck anytime soon.

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

There are two ways to do that first you can take both speedos
    to a shop that does speedos and have the millage set or go to the dealer and get a sticker to put on the door jam that has original millage and date that was changed. If your dealer does not have that sticker let me know I can send you one.

3. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

It's really not that hard to take the odometer off the speedo and disassemble enough to move the dials. It's been a while since I did one, but there are a couple of screws and a clip or two, and you can spin it to anything you want.

4. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

I'd hook up your speedo and tape the transfer case end of the cable to a high speed drill, tape the trigger in the on position and go have lunch.

just kidding,

andy

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I remember replacing my speedometer, but keeping the same odometer. I can't remember how I did it or if it was hard, though. I know that something was broken in the speedo, so I got a junkyard speedo and somehow got it all to work without changing the odometer. It could be that I only replaced part of the speedometer, I suppose. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif