Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New spring bushing replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by suntadz, Feb 23, 2007.

1. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

I just got my lift kit and am preparing to install. I got the tuff country springs which i want to add ORD greaseable bushing too. I got the front bushings out no prob and was glad I did. They had some grease when put together but mostly dried black paint in there that coated part of the bushing and all the space inbetween. Flaked and scraped that out and greased up the new ones.:D
    But the rear springs seem to have me all buggered up. The stock bushing seems to have a metal sleeve around it. Ive been try to get them out with a single jack, then a single jack and socket on the inner sleeve but to no avail. I can get a wrench on the lip of the outer metal sleeve and turn it ever so slightly but working it back and forth dosent seem to do the trick. Any other things i can do b4 i torch em? I would hate to torch new springs. Maybe im just to impatient and will try the hammer some more b4 runinng here again. hehe.

2. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

You can drill out all of the rubber, then push them out.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Like mentioned.. drill holes all in the rubber until it breaks down enough to drive/push the bolt bushing through. Then what i do is take a air hammer/chisel and cut the metal sleeve almost all the way from side to side. I leave just a bit, and then put a hand held chisel in and use the cut I made, and using the chisel beat it out with the shop hammer. I also tap the curl of the sleeve out, where it starts to slightly wrap outside the eye.

Heck I think I can do it faster than I can explain it... doh! LOL

4. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks. ill drill em out in the morning.

5. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

If you have a torch, theres a lot quicker way than drilling. Torch inside the metal sleeve where the bolt goes. All of a sudden it'll stink like rubber real bad. push the sleeve through with a bolt or socket extension or whatevers handy. the rubber falls right out. then cut (I use a sawzall) the outer sleeve once, and it should pop right out, just like that.

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I use a MAPP gas torch. Do this outside, plenty of foul soot and molten rubber will drip.
    With the MAPP, heat the small bushing until it falls out or can be pushed out. That will relieve most of the stored energy in the rubber.
    With an air chisel, knock/fold the outer sleeve out of the spring eye. Any solvent/lube (AEROKROIL) that breaks down rust, will help.:D
    Here's a tip for your new bushings........
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007