Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new starter grinds up flywheel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the excuse, Aug 4, 2004.

1. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

i just put a new starter in my blazer because the last one was making a weird noise when it started. the new one also makes this noise. somehow its now hitting the flywheel properly and little bits of flywheel grindings are coming out. it aslo sounds horrible.

2. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

My first gues is you need more shims between the block and starter. You can buy a shim kit from your local parts store that should have the shims and a gauge(small rod) to fit the correct amount of shims.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yup shim is the word, kit will tell you how to gauge it and have the shims /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the last one was making a weird noise when it started. the new one also makes this noise. somehow its now hitting the flywheel properly and little bits of flywheel grindings are coming out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you say "Ring-gear" /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Chances are the ring-gear on the flywheel is toast,,,
    you could put 100 starters on it and it will do the same.
    It MAY need shims but I would inspect the ring gear closely 360 degrees and make sure all the teeth are in good shape.
    You can also disconnect the battery lead at the starter and engage the bendix,,, this will throw the starter gear into the flywheel with out turning over the engine. You should be able to stick a straightened out paper clip between the gears,,, if not you may need to shim.

Better yet if it is the "OLD SCHOOL" type starter,
    pitch it and buy a gear reduction type,,you will thank me later!!!

5. the excuse

flywheel s not missing teeth. i will try disconecting the motor and leaving the solenoid to test the mesh.

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have been there and done that. tried EVERYTHING. have you ever noticed a stud comming out of the back of the starter that you never use. if you look about the same position on the engine block there are 2 holes. there is actually a bracket that connects the startere to the block.

if your starter is moving (you will need a friend or remote strarter to do this) when you start it you will need this bracket or make one. if it is not moving try the shims.

not many people know about this bracket, heck i would still be fighting with it if it were not for my know it all (and he really does know it all) friend thad had one stashed in a bucket in the back of his shop. if you want i can take a pic but wont be back online till tomarrow.

7. the excuse

ok got shims put one in and it was much worse. investigated the mesh more and found that without any shims the tops of the starter teeth are hitting the tops of the flywheel teeth. they arent even meshing together! could i have the wrong starter? i asked for the starter for an 83 blazer with a 350 mine has a carbed 350 in it. what is going on here. please help before my flywheel is shredded to pieces.

8. csnutrition

csnutrition Registered Member

Where did you purchase your starter. I've never had a problem with a brand new Delco starter. However, when I used other brand (i.e. Autozone or other less expensive starters) I had flywheel problems. I was told it had to do with starter bracket.

9. the excuse

this is a $50 pep boys starter.

10. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I'm tellin' ya dude,,,,

[ QUOTE ]
    Better yet if it is the "OLD SCHOOL" type starter,
    pitch it and buy a gear reduction type,,you will thank me later!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    ok got shims put one in and it was much worse. investigated the mesh more and found that without any shims the tops of the starter teeth are hitting the tops of the flywheel teeth. they arent even meshing together! could i have the wrong starter? i asked for the starter for an 83 blazer with a 350 mine has a carbed 350 in it. what is going on here. please help before my flywheel is shredded to pieces.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You need to cut the shims in half and reinstall them on one side. That will change the pitch and move the teeth in. It should say in the directions that come with most starters. THat is what I had to do.

12. the excuse

oh ok that makes sense. im poor and cant afford a gear reduction starter. it works now thanks guys.