Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New starter recomendations??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Mar 6, 2000.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Has anyone ever tried to figureout if there are good starters and bad starters out there.
    I guess what I'm tring to say is I need a starter and I hate buying things twice so if there is a sertian brand or a heavy duty modle for a 350 the info would be great.
    PS I don't want to spend 200bucks on a Super starter like that one ...I forgot the name but I know it has the color Green in the name.......Any thoughts???

Rock ON!

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

The name of the one you are reffering to is MEAN GREAN. Dont get an AutoZone starter, they are lifetime, but are junk. Go to Chevy and get an oem one or one of their oem heavy duty ones.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ever hear of using a starter from a 454 on a 350???
    Can I assume that a starter for a motor with higher compression means the starter is stronger durring operation??
    Thanks
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I can second what Depdog said. I went through 3 Pep Boy's starters. They all wouldnt line up right, the teeth wouldnt mesh with the flex plate right. I finally opted for a OEM starter (AC Delco) and havent had a single problem with it. I run the heat shield from Jegs and have no hot starting problems. I even bought a second starter for when I'm deep out in the trails and my existing starting decides to go kaput on me. Hope this helps you..

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

A starter will fit a big block or a small block. It depends only on the tooth count on the flywheel. I think they'll even fit a 90deg V6.

A higher compression starter is more powerful than a standard starter. They usually obtain this by using gear reduction. The motor itself is small and lightweight, and will give you better header/exhaust clearance.

Why don't you get a Summit catalog and see foryourself, they have many different starters there. Even chrome ones.

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

6. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had good luck with Napa stores . They will tell you if you ask them how their starters hold up.I know they only use reputable rebuilders . They don't want you coming back with starter in hand and telling them what they can do with this#$$#@$$#@ starter . I also check to see what the starter looks like . If it's full of dents or has grinding marks on it I get another .It must look perfect .

7. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I too would say to say away from the auto parts store reman. starters. I bought one from Discount Auto Parts for my new 11:1 383 in my 66 Nova. The starter just turned and turned and turned on my brand new engine, and the worst part was the battery was in the trunk which was shut! Oh well, to make a long story short, it was a lifetime starter so I took it back and got another which was purfect. I since have had the same starter on that engine in two seperate cars and have had no problems out of it.
    I guess it's the luck of the draw,
    Curtis

8. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Can you see a trend here? I had the same trouble as every one else until I went with an OEM starter. Genuine GM is the way to go with starters.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool , Thanks for the info!!
    Out on the trail I would hate for the starter to go!!
    Even I can pop start with the cluch still a starter is something I don't want to skimp on!
    Thanks again
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

10. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

Dont forget the the heat shield !