Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New starter replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SlicksInRain, Feb 11, 2007.

1. SlicksInRain

SlicksInRain 1/2 ton status

I think I have to replace my starter because I had to wack it while someone turned my key to get my truck to fire up today. How easy is the starter to change? Is is the simple bolt off and removal of wires or is there timing involved? Also how much do you think this will cost me in parts? Fuel Injected if that means anything.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty simple to remove/install. Hardest part is disconnecting the battery cable, positive leads to the fuse panel, and the start wire from the back of the solenoid before dropping it down. Install is reverse, no it doesn't affect timing or anything. Good idea to disconnect battery cable from battery first though.

I just had replaced mine under warranty, but I doubt a standard chev starter will run more than $40.

Edit: doesn't hurt to make sure all your connectors down there are nice and clean, and a bit of connection protecting grease won't hurt either.

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Simple bolt on / off.. what I do is take a milk crate under there with me..unbolt the starter, rest it on the crate, then undo the wires.. it's easier than trying to get to the wires with the starter still on there..

when you put it back together, just reverse your steps...BE CAREFUL when tightening the big nut that holds the power wire on there.. use two wrenches, one to hold the stud in place.. it's easy to snap that stud right off there, especially on these offshore - made pieces..

beyond that, there's no timing involved or anything.. while you are down there, be sure to grease everything up if you haven't done it for awhile.

Tom

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Amen to that.. I forgot to mention that part..

5. SlicksInRain

I have never done this. I was told it was a cylonoid (sorry if I spelled it wrong) but others say it's the starter because thats what I had to wack. Any thoughts?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Replace them both. You are there, they take as much time to take one out as the other, and they are both old.

Cheaper to buy both pieces together (starter/solenoid) than it is to buy them separate.

7. SlicksInRain

My engine is only a year and a half old, but I have a feeling that they used my factory starter thats 17 years old.

8. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

If it started when you hit it, it is the cylenoid. Just replace the starter, its easy