Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New starter...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Nov 4, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, I didn't really have anything to compare with but I felt my cranking speed was on the poor to marginal side...causing a bit of a hard start in the colder weather.

Last night after work (truck sat 11 hours) it barely started and sounded like the batteries were almost dead. Temp was -5 Celcius (about 24 F) and it wasn't plugged in./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I figured it was time to break down and get a new starter, because the batteries, cables, all the cable ends, and alternator are all new. So are the AC 60G GP's and I run the manual controller. Oh yeah, new pump(s) and injectors too. About the only thing possibly left was poor cranking speed.

Got me a new Bosch gear reduction starter today. 5 year warranty. The warranty and previous good experience with the Bosch line of replacement starters made the decision pretty easy (although not cheap).

5 seconds of glow and it fired instantly...temp was about 40 degrees. I shut it down after 10 seconds and waited a couple of minutes and tried it again with no glow and it fired after a second or so. I can't beleive the cranking speed! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Previously even if it had run for 5 minutes or so I'd need to cycle the GP's again to re-start a few minutes later.

I figure with the 6.2's propensity for eating starters it was a good plan to get the 5 year warranty.

Rene

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What is the part number for the starter? What did you pay for it? You left out very important info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I second that! mike

4. tRustyK5

I have a pn on my receipt, but let me see if I can confirm it's the Bosch pn and not some random crap. The auto parts place assigns there own generic pn to everything in the store...and I highly doubt you guys have "Canadian tire" so that won't help.

I paid $250 for the starter...and yes I have seen them much cheaper than that. However I couldn't wait for a starter to be shipped (Ebay) and the store I got mine at is a national chain so if I need to use the warranty it'll be pretty easy.

The starter itself is the 28MT gear reduction unit...if you check out the Ebay listings under 6.2's or 6.5's you should find a couple of auctions for them. I saw they had a "Buy it now" option for $150.00 which is quite reasonable.

If I can confirm the Bosch number I'll edit this post later.

Rene

5. 84CUCV

Thanks Rene mike

6. tRustyK5

Bosch pn# is SR8574X, for the reman, and SR8574N for the brand new one. This is the gear reduction 28MT and after a search it looks like NAPA carries the Bosch line of rebuilt starters.

You'll have to check NAPA's prices yourself though.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm very happy with the cranking speed and how quickly and easily it starts now. It was in the high 20's this morning and it flashed up in record time even though I never plugged it in last night. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

7. 84CUCV

Need to find out if they make a 24V for my M1009. Thanks

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Cranking speed with these diesels is a must! I'm sure you know this! My way to it was to double the cranking amps! I used a run of the mill starter and two brand new yellow top batteries isolted from the rest of the truck so their sole purpose was to crank the truck! After I did this, it never took my truck more than a second to fire! 20*F or hot as heck! 1 sec was all it ever took! All I had to do was bump the ignition! The cranking amps make it so the starter doesn't have to work as hard.... The worst thing about these diesels from the factory is that long connecting wire that goes atop the radiator! If anything else, to anyone in the future, take that wire out, install a second tray on the passenger's side of the truck so the batteries are right next to each other and wire it in there! Three batteries was an awsome setup, but isn't totally necessary! I would get a Bosch starter like you did, but the engine is now retired and I'm moving on! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Got me a new Bosch gear reduction starter today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job Rene! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif This was my exact experience with my "old" starter dying, and installing a used gear-reduction version from a 6.5TD. I'll uh... "third" the cranking speed issue. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the part number Rene. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris