Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new steering column Q.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DangerB, May 12, 2000.

1. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I know about the little bolts below the tilt knuckle that come loose. I have broken something below that. Its not the upper/lower bearings. It seems to be a "collar" or carrier of some sort sitting on top of the steer column "tube" right around the shifter area. I have broken a bolt off in one of those stupid pins that hold the tilt head on(anybody know a way to cheat those?)otherwise I would have seen what part is broken. Anyone dealt with this? I want it fixed, but probably need to beef it up. I weigh 225 and put ALOT off force on that wheel. Thanks.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>obviously a smartass </font color=blue>

2. IH82LUZ2FRDS

IH82LUZ2FRDS Registered Member

Hey, I did the same thing with my steerling column, and hey i am a pretty big guy my self too, wish there was something we big guys could do so it doesnt happend again. When you were taking out the tilt pins did you use a slidding hammer, if you don't, its pretty next to imposible to get them out, well safely. but anyways, i dunno how your going to get that pin out when you broke the screw off in it, me and my friend spend hours trying to figure out if we could without have to rent a slidding hammer, and we couldn't come up with any other way. I am afraid to say it, but you might have to bring it in. Because if you screw with it enough, you might break your barrings, i did that and i had to put a whole new barring housing and everything, it isn't fun. But good luck and I hope things go smoothly, what did you do to your steering column anyways?

Rob
    88K5

3. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Im lookin in the book and the best thing I can figure is that I broke the "bearing housing". Actually I used a big/little washer combo with a jack-nut style doo-dad to get the pins out. It has worked great a few times before, not this time. As far as th e"big guy breaking" thing goes; I like the position of the tilt all the way down but I never use tilt. So I am going to build a big steel brace(sort of knee brace style) that takes the impact of the column/bearings/knuckle. Ill draw a model of it if you like.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>obviously a smartass </font color=blue>

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I used to grab the wheel when I got in, but I now I installed a grab handle on the A-pillar so I won't screw up the tilt. works great.

<font color=green>Money</font color=green>--&gt;Blazer

5. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

DangerB
    I know I can't help, but I do have a question. Did yours come with the tilt steering, or did you add it? I want to add it to mine, and am not sure of what is involved. Let me know, if you don't mind.

6. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Eric, she is a cheyenne with tilt. And I NEVER use the wheel to get in. Im tall enough to step in. The wear is from my fat ass deathgripping it and slamming into stuff offroad every other day of the week. I guess I'll have to get it apart tonight and make a collar or stuff a bearing in it.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>Get the hell outta my way!</font color=blue>

7. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I swapped my non tilt in my 78 to a tilt I got off ebay for $35.00.... All there is to it is pull the complete column and put the new one in. One bolt on the splines under the hood,,, two big bolts holding the column to the dash and the wire harness.... pretty simple.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

8. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

After getting the tilt column completly apart I realized how flimsy its construction really is. I wallered out the steering tube where the little collar is(crap). Thanks to LAKETEX for the straight column. I dont like the wheel position, but I like things that DONT break. Thanks guys.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>Get the hell outta my way!</font color=blue>