Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Steering Stabilizer and Steering Box Brace Installed (PICS)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Jun 16, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG]
    1991 Chevrolet V3500 4X4 Crew Cab 3+3 P/U

After installing a heavy duty 1.50 OD tie rod from Sky's company Sky Manufacturing, I installed a new steering stabilizer. The stabilizer is a Pro Comp OEM replacement stabilizer shock from 4-Wheel Parts Warehouse. I used the factory Dana 60 stabilizer mount, but had to build my own stabilizer bracket to connect to the tie rod.

[​IMG]
    This is a picture of the steering stabilizer bracket, which I made out of two 1-1/2" muffler clamps and a 3/8" thick 2" wide piece of bar steel.

[​IMG]
    This is the finished stabilizer bracket and shock

I also installed a steering box brace from Steve's company Off Road Design (ORD). Everything bolted up with a minimum of fuss. All I had to do was completely remove the frame bracket that held the factory oil cooler lines in place, so I could route them under the steering box bracket; then I took a couple of short pieces of 5/8 heater hose, and slice them up the center to place over the oil cooler lines for protection from rubbing on the frame and steering bracket. Plus there was the 1/2" hole I had to drill, but it was easy because the brace is designed to line up with an existing brake line holding bracket hole, which can be easily drilled through from the front side of the cross-member.

[​IMG]
    Sorry the picture is so crummy, but I only have a cheap $18 digital camera

[​IMG]
    From this picture you may be able to see where I removed the oil cooler line frame bracket, and used spliced 5/8" heater hose. Then slid it on to the oil cooler lines for protection from rubbing the steering box bracket.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Nice truck!

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Man, the steering brace is nice and everything, but ever since I put it in, it seems to interfere with everything. The following week after I put it in I was working on the brakes, and the stuff I needed to get at was right behind the brace. Next I needed to trace a fuel line (turned out to be going to the charcoal cannister) and it was obscured by that thing again. Just my bad luck I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif