Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEW STERO ????

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ti.user, Dec 14, 2001.

1. ti.user

ti.user Registered Member

I have a '90 jimmy with stock stereo. I'm looking to upgrade. I looking for a simple but high quality stereo. I need some input into a good upgrade. I'm really not interested in putting in subs and a ton of amps, but rather a great sounding normal stereo. I was thinking of upgrading the dash speakers (2-way or 3-way ???). For the rear speakers I want to upgrade those also(6x9's), but when the truck is loaded up those speakers are behind all the luggage, so I was thinking of making boxes to put on the front of the wheel well right below the little arm pad for the rear seat,and adding another set o 6x9's(3-way or 4-way for both 6x9's). I would like a head unit that fits with the least amount of trouble but it must be a GOOD head unit. How many speakers can I run with a stero before I have to put in an amp(I'm thinking of a unit that has 45x4 output as an example).

I don't know diddly about crossovers,DIN,amps, and alot of what you guys discuss(you people are genisuses) so please speak in stupid people lingo!!! I want to install it myself so install info would be appreciated also.

I searched crutchfield.com and the state they don't have speakers for my truck.. How can that be... I have speakers in it now or something that makes music type noise.. lol...

This might be the SAME OLD question to all of you, if so sorry but I did look over old posts and I'm still unclear on what to do..
    I'm not afraid to spend money on quality, just not interested in making up a complex system.

thanx
    Thom<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ti.user on 12/14/01 02:48 AM.</FONT></P>

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Tom,

The only thing piece of advice I want to offer is that any head unit you buy (that's the CD player or tape deck in your dash!) is only going to be capable of powering a small amount of speakers (like 4) and not very well at that.....

The manufacturers are BIG FAT LIARS when it comes to rating power output of the decks....We've all seen decks rated at 45x4 Watts, but the truth is that it is electrically IMPOSSIBLE to achieve those power levels within the confined space of that deck. To achieve high power.....the amplifier must convert DC to AC, and there simply isn't room for the transformers in a standard in-dash deck. That's why "power amps" are so big and heavy (typically)....their design requires it!!!

Realistically, the maximum output from an in-dash player is about 8 watts. PERIOD!

If you want to add lots of speakers OR get more volume (loudness) OR better sound quality (dynamics)....it typically means that you have to add a seperate power amp.....at least a modest one, to get what you're after.

If I were you, I'd forget about adding MORE speakers and concentrate on providing BETTER power to the existing speakers you already have (with a power amp) and if there's money left....replace the speakers with higher-quality aftermarket ones. In terms of "bang-for-the-buck", that seems like the best way to go.

IMHO.....[​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

3. ti.user

Greg72,
    thanks for the advise. If I add an amp, and a new head unit can I run the six speakers I'm thinking running?? 2-sets of 6x9's and one set of dash speakers. If so what do I look for in an amp??
    thanx
    Thom

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ti.user on 12/14/01 09:42 AM.</FONT></P>

4. Greg72

Thom,

There's a couple of things to consider here......if you use four 6x9s in your truck and they're all mounted BEHIND you....it's going to be a bit unusual sounding! Those dash mounted speakers won't be able to keep in "image" up front with so much sound coming from the rear. If you are OK with that layout....then go for it. If you hadn't considered that......maybe you should re-consider the speaker layout.

EASY ANSWER:

Buy a good quality 4-channel amp...use it to power the four 6x9 speakers. Run the in-dash speakers off the 8 watts in the deck BUT use a "bass blocker" on each speaker to prevent them from playing below about 100Hz....that will conserve power, and the speakers will sound better too.

HARDER ANSWER:

Find a location where you can mount a decent set of co-axial speakers up front (footwells, door panels)...probably disconnect the in-dash speakers altogether. Buy a 4-channel amp and run a single set of 6x9's in the rear, and those co-axials up front. The "image" can then be balanced to the front where it belongs, but the rear passengers can still hear music too.

-Greg72

<font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

5. ti.user

Greg72,
    Now I know who you are. You made those kick a$$ boxes over the wheel wells. sweeeeeeettt!!! Your boxes gave me the idea to put the speakers on the wheel well, except big enough for 6x9's, not quite as big as yours. they would be angled similar to yours. However since you brought up "image" I'm not sure if I will do that now. Won't it be difficult to mount speakers in the doors w/power windows? I also heard q-panels don't fit that great, and what about snow, mud, and water effects on speakers mounted in the kick panels?
    thanx again for your input.
    Thom

6. Greg72

Thom,

Yes it will be more difficult to mount speakers in the doors, esp. if there aren't any there now. I don't know what the doorpanels look like in your K5, but generally if the door has a "vent wing" window....the space below that is useable, because the roll-down glass won't go into that area. There may be a power window motor in there however. You should probably just pull a door panel, and see what's there, and how much mounting depth you'll have.

Kick panels are a mixed-blessing. They put the speaker where it needs to be for improved sound....but as the name implies, it will probably get "kicked" and is exposed to more moisture than a door-mounted speaker (at least from the front side)....door speakers get water in the back of the speaker.

Most car speakers are designed with the expectation that they will sometimes get water on them. It's not really that big of a deal. The main consideration is their durability in the kickpanel and the aesthetics of placing them there....

-Greg72