Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new suspension lift questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unicknn, Jan 15, 2003.

1. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

Im going to get a new lift soon and I was looking for a little insight into what I will need. Im going with either a 6 or 8 inch skyjacker lift. I may put dual shocks put all the way around but I dont know if I would really need it. Anyway II am planning to move to a 14b ff out rear. will there be any problems with getting a lift with this axel because it isnt stock or will it just bolt on. What kind of shocks should I get? I know I will have to have the drive shaft made longer. Is there anything else I will need or should get? I dont want to have an unsafe truck. Right now its got 4 inches of suspenstion lift and 35s but they rub on the passenger side. Thats one of the reasons I want more lift.

thanx
    nick
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The 14 Bolt FF is almost a strait bolt in. If you plan on tires like 38's or larger, then you should also put a Dana 60 up front.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Trim the fenders...it's only sheetmetal.

Rene

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'd trim the fenders rather than go through all the work, but it's up to you.
    Skyjacker kits, I've noticed, are a little taller than advertised. My 4" was actually 5.25". The only difference in the kits is the rear U-bolts. You'll have to buy different U-bolts, but other than that it'll work with either the block or spring if you have an all spring kit. Both driveshafts will need to be lengthened, and your Y-pipe will have to be lowered, or you'll need to go dual otherwise the front shaft will hit the pipe. The 8" kit will also require different brake hoses, unless you get brakeline extensions.
    Unless you're a baja runner, you really don't need quad-shock stuff. Just buy some RS9000 shocks and you'll be fine. Those new MX6 shocks are supposed to be good too and Edelbrock just came out with a long travel shock.
    If I were you, I'd put on an ORD 1" body lift to clear if you want, but I'd say it's too much of a hassle to switch to a taller suspension lift.

6. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

does any1 sell single shock kits for the front? All i have up front is the leaf springs

7. 89GMCSuburban

Single shock kits? All you do is buy two shocks for the front. When you have the quad-shock option, you just remove two of the shocks. Stock, these trucks came with one shock on each side.

8. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

I dont have any mounting brackets for shocks in the front. I dont know how to weld or have a welder so I cant make anything.

9. 89GMCSuburban

Are they missing off the axle or frame?

10. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

its mising off of both. no bracket on the frame or axle. All I have is the leaf springs. I have 2 shocks on the rear axle though.

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Ask about shocks down in Offcamber 4x4 forum.Bet you can find what you need there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're only consittering lifting more becouse of rubbing tire, save yourself some money and just trim the fenders. If done right, it will look really good.

13. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

No thats not the only reason I want to lift it more. Ive already got a sawzall so ill be trimming soon