Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New System questions?????

Discussion in 'Audio' started by tiger9297, Jan 7, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Have a '90 K5 and some Christmas money. Wanting to put a new system in. I used to be into all this stuff in high school but have lost touch. Would like to go with new Stereo, front and rear speakers, amp, and possible subs. I don't care about blowing everyone else away I just want it to sound good. Suggestions?? Brands?? Thanks for the help.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a big fan of JVC and Clarion head units. For the 4 main speakers, I like Infinity Kappa's. Amps, In all honesty, MTX makes a good amp at more reasonalbly prices. Subs, alot of members here seam too like JL Audio, fair priced also. If you don't need the loudest system in town, No need for the brands I normally recomend like the TREO's and MMATS.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I went to Circuit City last night. They had some Alpine, Pioneer, and Sony for 200-300 bucks. No Clarion though. What do you think about these brands.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've seen alot of people having problems with the Sony headunits over the last few years. Alpine is nice if you buy thier top of the line units, but thier entry level units you pay more for the name. Pioneer is a good name brand, but I still think you get more bang for the buck with JVC and Clarion. Have you consittered shopping online ?? Sometimes you can get better deals that way.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Basic Pioneer head unit, 6x9s in boxes in front of the rear seat, door, tranny hump, or dash fronts, entry level 12" subs (Ive had luck with Pioneer and MTX) in an ebay box (I have alink, cheap as hell and solid) and maybe 150-250 watts per sub. I'm using a profile california amp and it's been evry good to me.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

www.crutchfield.com is a good place to see what fits and compare stuff. Good first stop. They don't always have the best prices, but once you know what you want you can shop price. Their customer service IMO is great.

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I'm an big fan of JVC. I have one in my DD for about 3 years now with no problems at all. my moms old car and a JVC for about 1.5 years with no problems either. they both sound really good considering both cars had stock speakers.

8. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do NOT go with Sony for your head unit. I have had a couple, and they skip like crazy. Biggest waste of money. I like Pioneer the best. Sony does have good subs and amps, and i think Jl audio is one of the best subs. I'm going to run 4 JL audio 15's in my blazer.

9. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Mutt System

Built my trail rig system pretty much on used gear, not recommended for the faint of heart but here goes, and I dont have any complaints.

Head Unit: Aiwa from BestBuy, CD, MP3 and has built in subwoofer crosover for easy addition of sub to system. $149.00

Front speakers: Infinity something or others, floor model from a sound shop (eBay) they have adjustable tweeters. $35 plus shipping, also ran some inline capasitors on front speakers to keep bass out of them pretty much. $30

Rear speakers: Polk 6X9 3-way something or others (eBay) $20 plus shipping.

Amp: Older Crunch PowerZone bridged to one channel, something like 250 warts RMS, nice cheap American Made amp, lots of crossover and bridging options. (eBay) $65 plus shipping.

Sub: Old Rockford Fosgate Punch 12 eBay) much better than most of the new stuff RF is putting out. $40 shipped, plus a sub box kit from local audio shop $40.

Wiring and such came from inexpensive amp wiring kit.

The Aiwa deck runs the 4 main speakers just fine for me and with the seperate built-in sub crossover I can adjust the bass, midbass, mid and trebble all from the head unit, makes it pretty easy system to set-up, almost no distortion even at full volume.

System is in no way bling bling, but it gets the job done for a vehicle I'm not in that much.

I have much more complicated multi-amp system in another vehicle and it does sound better, but the above system was ALOT cheaper. Just remember, sometimes simpler is better if its just for you and not to show off.