Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new tailgate issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudbog42, Jan 30, 2007.

1. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Ok just installed my new tailgate and glass.:D I put brand new felt in the tailgate for the window and it seems to hold the window way too tight :(and the motor cannot push it all the way up with out help from someone pushing it up.:doah: Also this motor worked just fine in my old tailgate and regulator moved up and down just fine. I'm afraid to put it down because I will have to get some help to get it back up:o

Now for the tailgate itself, got everything lined up and latches and closes just fine, the only problem is that the two alignment guides on each side of the tailgate rub going into the holes, :mad:I have bent them out a bit and filed them and the holes already, should I just continue to file or is there a problem somewhere?:crazy:

Ideas? Any help with either will be greatly appreciatied:bow:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There are adjustments built into the tailgate, I suggest using those and stop filing! :)

3. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

How would I go about adjusting those then because it rubs on the inside of both tabs?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The hinges are adjustable on the body side (think maybe in the tailgate as well?) and the latches on the body are adjustable too.

I'd have to look at "alignment guides" I'm drawing a blank on what those look like.

5. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Yeah I've adjusted those the best I can and the tailgate looks dead on, its just those alignment tabs that are giving me the problems, I can't go left because then the right won't be able to close because it will hit and vice versa for the other side

6. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Was it an after market tailgate? On the window are you sure the glass is lined up? If it is not it will cause it to act like what you describe.

7. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

I got the tailgate from JC Whitney and as for the window its looks lined up just like it should and I also just got back from the window shop and he told me that the new felt that they make is tighter than the original and that I would have to have a buddy help the window up and down until the new felt gets broken in. But even then it would still be slow just because the motor isn't strong enough and I replaced that motor about two years ago so I don't think its bad (it worked just fine before) I got the new felt and stuff from LMC

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

if the old felt was worn out, the motor didnt need as much torque to move the window,try a new motor, or an amp-draw test and see what comes of it...