Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new tie rod won't fit my centerlink

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 13lazer, Feb 9, 2006.

1. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

i am in the middle of upgrading my 1970 2 wheel drive blazer front brakes from drums to rotors. the truck has power steering that i think a previous owner added. im using a fancy set of tie rods i got at the pomona swap meet, but the inner tie rods are too big to fit into the existing centerlink. this blazer was originally a base model with a 250 cu in l6 and a 3 on the tree shifted manual transmission. what centerlink should i look for, the outer tie rods are the same size and they fit my new spindles perfect. the new spindles are from a 1971 c10 pickup. the tapers on my centerlink are way too small, i thought they were all the same? has anyone dealt with this before?
    13lazer

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Is there a chance that you're mixing the 1/2-Ton with 3/4-Ton components???

I remember reading in the Early Classic Enterprises catalog that there are differences.

I think they sell a special set of 1/2-Ton lowered spindles that still use the 3/4-Ton tie rods and components.... that was the first time I was even aware that some of that 2WD stuff was different??

3. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

i saw the truck these spindles came from, it was a stock height 1971 2wd blazer that a friend of mine parted out. i drilled out the factory rivited upper ball joints and all the other prep work on this front end. the tapered holes in my original centerlink are too small for me to get my little finger all the way through. the old tie rods i took off yesterday were barely through the holes enough the reach the cotter pin. my 1970 blazer had a tilt column out of a van when i got it so the centerlink could be from anywhere. i think i just answered my own question.:doah: does anyone have a cheap centerlink for a 1/2 ton 1971 chevy pickup for sale near los angeles?
    thanks

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sometimes just typing out loud takes you to the answer hahaha Nice one.
    Sorry can't help with your search but good luck:D

5. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

67-70, different than 71-72, different than 73-80

is this info posted anywhere ? a drawing showing the actual dims on the centerlinks. if i kinew dimensions i could figure out what parts from years other than 67-70. according to cpp's website steering on 67-70 is completely different than other years. if i could fit other inner tie rods. they might bind up on he front crossmember is there something i can do to freshen up my steering links along with my new disc brake installaition. im wondering if i can fab a custom set if tie rod ends.