Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Tierod

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by willyswanter, Jul 26, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Stephen, we chatted briefly down at the Mini Rubicon at Blazer Fest about my Ford HP dana 60 and it's bent tie rod. You said that you were pretty sure that your 1.5" .375" wall Tie Rod would fit this axle? I was wondering since the stock tie rod has a bend in it around the diff cover... Anyway, also, which ends would this take? Can I use the large GM ends? Would I have to ream out the knuckles? Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

On my bro's buggy axle, we (they in this case, I wasn't involved much) reamed the knuckles from the top to put the tie rod in the opposite direction so that may have moved the tierod up enough that it got more room compared to the cover since it's curving back right there. But in that location, it cleared the cover no problem. I'm not sure of using the factory location. The Ford ends are pretty tiny, so to use the GM ends you would have to ream out the knuckles either way you want to go.
    I'm not sure if the tie rod would fit under the leaves if the taper is reversed so you'll probably want to leave it below, or go with heims and put them on top of the knuckle arm.

If it comes down to it, we could put a little offset bend in the 1.5" tie rod to clear the cover. It's obviously not optimum but would probably do the trick. This is some stiff tube, I don't think putting the offset in it would be a big deal.
    Hope this helps

3. willyswanter

Cool, I'll go check it and see what kind of clearance I will have between the tie rod and the bottom of the leaves and let you know. Right after I finished talking with you about the strength of my tie rod at the mini-con, David Kennedy and I went out and bent it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

And his tie rod too, I'm glad I didn't come along!

5. willyswanter

Yeah that was hilarious. He gets in the truck and takes off not paying attention to the 3 foot boulder 5 feet in front of him /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif