Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new tilt wheel in but have problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by porkchop, Aug 29, 2002.

1. porkchop

porkchop Registered Member

Just installed a tilt wheel from a 89 blazer replacing the stock no tilt. great works fine but noticed tonight heading home from work that my high beams are stuck on and can not get them to low beam what do i do from here. The one I replaced worked fine. I picked it up a the local bone yard do I just pull it back out and hope they have a replacment
    Help /forums/images/icons/confused.gif hate to get tagg from the locall police man.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'd just double check all the wiring before taking it back out. </font color>

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the high/low beam switch is located on the lower part of the column and is operated by a rod that comes down from the turn signal lever mechanism. make sure the rod is in place and not binding or bent, if the switch is bad swap the one over off the old column, it would be easier than changing the whole column again.

4. porkchop

porkchop Registered Member

Thanks I'll take a look @ that

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The switch is adjustable position wise, you can grasp the rod underneath the dash and push it manually (if the lever isn't "throwing" it far enough) forward. If that doesn't work, you can probably get a small screwdriver on the dimmer switch "plunger" and with the "click" of the plunger the lights should dim.

If the switch works, but the lever isn't engaging fully, make sure the rod is intact/not bent, and if the rod is ok and the switch works, just not with the turn signal lever/rod, then you'll need to adjust the switch. Two small screws IIRC, and not a whole lot of adjustment.

You could probably straighten the rod out just a hair (if you can see bends in it as installed) to get a bit more "throw" from the turn signal lever.