Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New tire decision time HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CCRider, Apr 28, 2003.

1. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Time for new tires!! Currently running 37x12.5x16.5 SSr swampers , and they have always been kind of lumpy and Ill handling (previously had 35" BFG MT's)kind of looking to go bigger , and cost isn't really an issue , looking for something that drives alright on the street , not really worried about noise , just driving feel , and works in the rocks/mud of tellico type trails ! I know I'm asking alot of these tires , but here goes my choices..........

1) Replace SSr's with 38x15.5x16.5 ssr's and wil not have to get new wheels ......1400$ or so.

2) Replace ssr's with Goodyear MT/R's 40x13.5x17 , really don't want to go with the 37" MT/R's , they,re too small!! Would have to get new wheels (weld racing)would have to cut fenders more (not a biggie) approx 3180$with the wheels!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3)get Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips in 38x15.5x16.5 they seem a little wide to me , and haven't heard alot about them offroad , but look good! could keep my wheels again though (16.5 x9.75 welds) I like the wheels I've got and have 5 of them . about 1400$

4) wait till the Krawler BFG comes in a 39" size and again get new wheels in a 17"x10" size, I have no Idea how much the Krawlers are , I know the 37" are in the 300-400$range though!! so I can only guess at 3K-4k for that setup!!

Does anyone else have any input on the tires I'm considering , or the decision I need to make!! any help would be appreciated , my mind is going into overload with all the #'s and info!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifThanks guys and gals!!!............CC /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If you think the SSRs ride lumpy, you'd better stay away from any of the real swampers. Maybe you ought to buy mudzer's sts's in the for sale section! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

sts's are the funny lookin' tread right? I hear ya on the other swampers , we just changed out the sx's on my buddy's heep TJ 38.5x12.5x15 and replaced them with (my suggestion)37" MT/R's and the thing drives 300% (no lie)better on the street , and works as good if not better offroad (real good lateral traction with the goodyears)actually gets sidewall flex he could NOT get with the sx's !! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif C'mon guys. ..........CC

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would try the 40" MTR's if the Swampers are to rough onroad and you want bigger then the 37's. They are a radial so they should be pretty good onroad and last longer then swampers.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

http://www.denmantire.com/home.php 38" Ground Hawg radials. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Click on "What we sell" mark Ground Hawg II radial, and take a look. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They're a 10 ply tire. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

Groundhawgs are not realy good on rocks they don't flex real well alough I ran mine in the mud for the first time today and they rock.

I kind like the look of the new swamper IROC

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

40" MTRs. MTR is an awesome all-around tire for me.

9. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

baja claws in 38.5x15.50 my aunt has 35's (bias) and they are pretty good. not loud at all, and good traction.

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

We have a set of the 40x13x17 MTR's at my work and OH MY GOD, these things are sweet. I was diggin the 37''s but these 40''s are the PERFECT size for our trucks IMHO. I figure that although it has 3'' more rubber, it has 2'' more rim (than my 15''s) so it shouldn't squirm any worse and they are radials too. And if they work/ride anything like the 37''s, I'm sold for sure! Now I just need to make up an excuse as to why I need a 40'' tire for the desert, hell even the trophy trucks are only running 37''s.