Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Tires For Me Too!

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by TrcksR4ME, Oct 30, 2004.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

SO I made an impulse buy....friend of mine was selling some 36x13.50x15 Iroks, brand new....so I had to pick them up Not a big upgrade from the 35's, but glad to see the SSR's go, too many compromises for a rig that only gets driven to go wheelin a few times a year.

[​IMG]

I am stoked, tread depth is the same as my SSR's were new, so no worries there.

So has anyone mounted tires themselves? I don't really think I want to pay someone to do it, any advice to doing this?

2. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

OOOHHH MEATY /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

Awesome Mike. You need to get them put on and see how they do in some deep snow on the Christmas Tree Run. Dec. 4th. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Awsome! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

awsome mike....good score....as far as mounting them....i usually do mine on the floor in the garage...if they are all dismounted already... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I have to dis-mount my old tires first, any ideas there?

And once I have the old tires off, how to you get the new tires on the rims? Prybar? Should I lube the bead with something? Thanks

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have to dis-mount my old tires first, any ideas there?

And once I have the old tires off, how to you get the new tires on the rims? Prybar? Should I lube the bead with something? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Soap and water is the best lube for mounting/dismounting your tires. Hardest part is going to be breaking the beads on the old tires. But depending on how long they have been on there you might be able to put them under a truck and place a jack on the edge of the tire and put the weight of the truck on the bead to break it loose.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I ended up taking them to a used tire place on Sunday, guy dismounted the old ones, and mounted the new ones for $15 a tire. He had a hard time breakin the bead with his tire machine deal...I have a lot of confidense in 15" tires not losing a bead now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You still need to remember that you can exert a lot more force with a 6500-7000# truck on a hard impact than that tire machine is capable of. The hard impact will multiply the force of the truck weight. Loosing a bead is common on many of the lighter jeeps who air down below 10 psi and wheel hard. Not a big problem if you have some way of reseating it and airing up again though.

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I'm not gonna worry about it with 15" wheels....my rims are also only 8" wide, so that helps too. Only beeds I've seen go wheeling with the fullsize guys from the board, are 16.5".

Jeeps....well they are jeeps, and how they manage to do the things they do I dunno LOL

12. leadfoot067

as long as you wheel with a guy with OBA your good to go huh... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    as long as you wheel with a guy with OBA your good to go huh... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Do I know someone that has OBA /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I am thinking I need to do that upgrade, whats the best way to get a York compressor?

14. leadfoot067

volvo station wagon.....local pull a part should be about 35 buks...or.find a 70s chev motorhome...they usually had yorks...