Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new tires for stock blazer....what should i go with?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Nov 5, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm looking for tires for my stock 87 K5. I guess I'll run a tire at least 31" tall. I want your opinion as I've never run a stock height tire before. This truck will see plenty of road miles, as well as my occasional 4 wheeling trips on the some of the mild trails of Appalachia. I was looking at the Super Swamper TRXUS. It's got a pretty decent tread on it and might wear good, plus it's cheaper than a BFG M/T or A/T for that matter. I also thought about Goodyear AT/S. Just tell me what has worked for you. I'm a picky bastard, so I don't want to run any "generic" tires. I want a brand name that is tried and true.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

33bfg /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

do not get a at tire they suck offroad

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

33's will fit stock? *god i sound like a newbie now* i had to put a 2.5" lift on to clear them on my 90.

5. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I'd look into the general m/t's or a/t's. they are almost identical to bfg's but much more cheaper, and they don't wear faster, I think quality of them is pretty decent. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Cooper makes some good tires.

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

just remember to consider what yoru gunna use the truck for, and how much you take it off road, and remember that the wider the tire, the more stress you put on the steering components, my stering box is telling me this now. just my .02$

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

well if you are looking for tires mainly for on road driving I like the Michelin X-Radials I have on my daily driver. They are long lasting tires that handle very well on pavement, as well as wet pavement and snow covered pavement. The tires have a lot of siping on them. Off-Road they are probably as good as most all-terrain tires, so no mud LOL. But I think it is hard to get a tire that is truely good on road and will last for many miles, and also good off-road. If you really plan to drive a lot on pavement, I would go with something like these.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What gears are in the axles? I ran 33's on the stock wheels on my '87 and never had a problem with 'em rubbing. But if you have 3.08's, then 33's will really dog the truck on the road. 3.42's would be marginal, and 3.73's would be even better. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

That's a good point also Harry. I have no clue as to what gear ratio is in the axles. I guess with the RPO codes listed now I could check without having to pop the cover. They should be the stock gears, as the rest of this k5 is untouched. I was looking at 4WPW site, and they list a 33x10.5 BFG MT. I think that's a pretty good size and width for only $136. If I have at least 3.42's, I will be fine with 33's. It has a towing package, so it should at least have 3.42's right?

11. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

33x10.5x15 on a 8" rim (I don't think they would rub)
    32x11.5x15 on a 8"or 10" rim

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

TrcksR4ME - Good suggestion. I like Michelins, but that tread just isn't aggressive enough for me. I've seen these in action and they just didn't pull good enough for me. They are priced well though.

Z3PR - Coopers. Can't recall that I've seen a Cooper tire. I've heard the name, but I can't place its design. Give me a link to a site where I can view them.

MJ774X - General. Good looking tire. Must be decent if National Tire & Wheel sells them. They're worth considering. GOOD SUGGESTION!

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

that's what i was thinking. i'll be running the stock rallye wheels cuz i've always liked them. i liked them so much that i almost sent them to Stockton to be widened to put on Big Orange

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

15. chevy1982

chevy1982 Registered Member

You might want to check out the Wild Country rvts TIRES

16. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have 10" Rally's widened by Stockton....Bart wheels with stock centers....the first set with Stockton furnishing the centers was $520 delivered (Dallas) they were painted.....I clanged one, so I wanted to replace it....A full set 18 mos later was $740 delivered Rough (unpainted)....so I ordered 2....they came Reversed with the trim ring side in....so I sent them back.....The first set, I was told 4 to 6 weeks....took 5 Months.....the second go round (2 wheels rough), I was told 4 to 6 weeks....took 11 Weeks....sent them back, and waited another 5 Weeks for them to fix their mistake.....I have $890 in 6 useable 10" Rally's....I wouldn't recommend Stockton to my worst enemy....they are VERY pricey which is beside the point if ya want something nobody else has.....the service SUX Out Loud....Harley is the guy I dealt with.....Never Again.....(I really like the 10" Rally look, tho)....

17. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I run Bridgestone Dueler ATs on my stock 84. They are a great all round tire, but 95% of my driving is on pavement. The Duelers perform well in snow and ice, too.

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

"Stock" gears could be anything from 2.73's to 3.73's. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But if it came with the trailer package, then it most likely has 3.73's. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Here are the RPO codes for the axle gears:

GU2 = 2.73
    GU4 = 3.08
    GU6 = 3.42
    GT4 = 3.73
    GT5 or GT8 = 4.10
    G80 = Gov-lock

19. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Seeing how your K5 is stock I wonder is the spring are a little flat if thats the case 33's mite rub. My buddy runs 32x12.50 on ten inch rims I don't think his rub so maybe you can get 33's to fit.
    As for tried a true tires BFG AT's would be my first choice.

Eric

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

do you happen to have a pic of those tires?