Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New tires mabe 32"s, what do you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by franco802, Dec 4, 2006.

1. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

I am looking for new tires. I have had bfg a/t's, goodyear mt/r's and dunlop rover m/t's. When I use to have my 04' Jeep, I had tried all those tires i listed.

I liked the mt/r's for crawling(they were awsome), but when doing crawling and some mud in the mix, they would pack up with mud quick, then they were useless. The bfg a/t's were awsome, but packed with mud quick and weren't that great of a crawling tire, but were pretty good for all around. The rovers were awsome for mud, but kinda sucked for crawling(they lacked sidewall traction on rocks).

I want to see if 32"s will fit with no lift on my K5. I WILL be doing some crawling, mud and snow. I also noticed 32" tires are not too common at all. Haven't seen anyone in here with 32"s yet.

I have been really eyeing the swamper LTB's(the price is attractive), but i hear they are kind of cheap(I have never had interco tires). I really like them and would love to stuff some 32" TSLs under my K5. My new skyjacker shocks and rough country stabilizer came in today, so i am almost ready!!! STILL NEED TIRES!!!! What do you guys recommend for tires??!!! I am on a slight budget:D

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

How much street driving? I used to run 32" BFG AT's on my K5. They are now on my Jeep. I loved them for everything except mud. They weren't great at anything but were a great all around tire. I have MTR's currently & really like them alot. They will probably stay on the K5 for a long time since it is going to see a mix of street (not alot) & rockcrawling. I thought about the LTB's also but I have heard they are typical of most swampers. Not great on the street & the mileage life isn't good either.

For an all around MTR's are my pick or possibly a set of BFG MT's. The BFG MT's will do a little better then the MTR's in my but not quite as well on the rocks.

Harley

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

4. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

I rarely drive my K5. I only drive it about 400 miles a month and those are all miles traveling to the mountains to go offroad:D

5. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

Well, I am sure they will fit. But when disconnecting the swaybar and crawling, I will bet my money on rubbing.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

cut the fenders a little and get 33s... personally i wouldnt run swampers, ive owned TSLs and SXs and theyre cool but the coolness wears off fast. along with the tread. i love MT/Rs myself.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's one of those things that has been discussed ad nauseum around these parts...................

8. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Check the second stickey.

9. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I have Pro Comp MT's and am happy with them so far. They seem do good all around and are very similar to the BFG MT. They dont have much sidewall bite really but for what I have done so far they are great. They do pack up with mud, but a good blip on the throttle cleans them pretty well.

10. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Oh yeah, 32x11.50 will fit but you will have some rubbing issues if you flex it out much. I ran 31x10.50 for a long time with no issues. Just get 33s and hack a little off the fenders.

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I would run 33s also.

How leaves do you have in the front spring pack? If you have 3, you won't have a problem with 33s other than trimming a little off the back area. It's not even noticeable standing beside the truck. Where the fender wraps around underneath, you cut it back at an angle.

Personally I would run MTRs over BFG a/t. Around here guys like BFG M/T's also.

12. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

I only have 2 leafs up front. I have 5 in the rear, that's also counting the overload spring.

I would love to throw 33's on my rig, but I only have 3.08 gears back there, so that would kill my power. Also, when I go crawlin, I go up and down real steep rocky grades and I need all the gears I got when coming down in 4LO.

I had 3.73's when I had my 04' Jeep Wrangler, this rig has 3.08's and I can really tell that the Jeep would crawl slower when coming down a steep grade when crawling.

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If you keep your eyes peeled, you can find 3.73 axles pretty easy.

14. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have decided to go with 33"s. Other question I have is, does anyone make a 2" lift for the K5?? I was even thinking of just adding 2" blocks on the rear and mabe adding a leaf up front? Would that raise it a little? I will be rock crawling with disconnected swaybar, I might even trim the front fenders.

15. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Rough Country, $320 with blocks and $550 with springs.

16. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

Damn, just tried a set of my buddy's 33's on my K5 before I oredered some. I had rubbing like a mofo in front!!! I didn't like the look either, it looked like I lowered my K5. I think I am going to stick with 31's.

I am going to throw on my new skyjacker shocks sitting on my garage floor, the new MM Gold hub locks, new Rough country stabilizer, buy a locker or mini spool for the front and go rock crawling disconnected. Should be very a capable rig.

When I had my 04' Heep Wrangler, I had 31's, new shocks, stabilizer and a front locker. I went just about everywhere the big boys did with that front locker!!

I might go with a mini spool, because those damn lockers are expensive!!

17. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

My bad, they were 35's!

I still need to try some 33's:D

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Which 33's and which wheels? It's clearly documented that stock wheels and narrow (10.5") 33's are essentially all that will work without modifying the rig.

19. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

I understand, but I will be doing some crawling in the local mountains with a disonnected swaybar. I don't want to tear the hell out of everything. Believe me, i still want to try 33's. I am doing alot of searching. I am about to buy brand new tires, i just want to make real sure before i buy 33's and end up tearing them to pieces:doah:

I have never run my K5 with the swaybar disconnected, but by the looks of everyone's pics in here, these K5's flex like a mofo!! :D

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think your bumpstops will stop you before you cause damage...I know with my setup, even with the swaybar I hit the bumpstops before any tire rub. I'm actually planning on trimming them as much as possible without causing problems with the front driveshaft, etc.