Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new tires not running flat?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85scottsdale, Feb 18, 2004.

1. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I put new tires and wheels on my truck about a week ago, and noticed that the back tires look like their not running on all the tread. Should I be worried about it? Not sure if the front tires are doing the same since they get dirt on them when they turn and all that. Their Dayton Timberline M/Ts on 15x8 wheels and they all have 35 psi in them.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What size are the tires? 33's or 35's don't need anywhere near 35 PSI in them. Bigger tires make a bigger contact patch with the ground, so a lower pressure in a big tire will support the same weight as a higher pressure in a small tire. On the road I run my 35's at 24 PSI in the back and 26 PSI in the front. That keeps all of the tread planted on the road and prevents wearing out just the center of the tread. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Harry is right. I run 25 on my 33's. I started off at 30, but it really started wearing the centers down.

4. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I run 30 in my 33's and I have not noticed any excessive wear on them...Jason

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have 15x8 on 37-1250's and I am running 25psi on the street, they seem to wear flat now.

6. 85scottsdale

Sorry, guess I forgot the most important part, their 33x12.5" inch tires. I'll try the 26 rear and 28 front and see what happens.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I run 30 in my 33's and I have not noticed any excessive wear on them...Jason

[/ QUOTE ]
    Usually by the time you see it, it's too late to do anything about it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Stop at Walmart and spend $3 on a tread depth measuring tool. It will let you measure the difference between the center and outer portions of the tread pretty accurately. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 85scottsdale

I have about 5 of the tread measuring tools. My dad was a mechanic for sears auto center for awhile, I have anything and everything, and if I don't have I will soon.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

air them down a little and then drive slow through some sand. Just a very little sand though. You don't want to sink in. When I say little I mean a little spilt by the sand blaster. Works good. you can really see what's hitting the ground and what isn't.