Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new tires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hank75, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Hank75

Hank75 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifi am getting new tires? now heres where you experts come in. I have a 75 blazer 350/th350/203 partime convert 4.10 dana 44 12 bolt. Summer driver only camping wheeling but not extreme . Looking at swampers? radials bias? let me know what you guys think? going 36 x 12.5 in size on 15 x 8 rims. do i need 15 x 10's?
    thanks much appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

if you want swampers, then go with the TSL radial, Aggressive tread for those sticky situations, Yet still a radial for decent street manners. and 8 inch wide rim would work good,

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How much lift do you have?

4. Hank75

Hank75 Registered Member

4 inch block in rear, was thinking shackle flip then trim front . can i get away with not trimming?

thanks

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Shackle flips go in the front, not the rear. You have to add leaves or change springs if you want lift up front.

I personally would go with 6" Tuff Country EZ Ride springs and the Echobit.com bolt on shackle flip and your choice of shocks.

You will still probably have to trim, even with 6" of lift, but it'll be minor.

6. Hank75

Hank75 Registered Member

thanks for the reply. i realise that shackle flips are for the rear i was just mentioning what setup i had already which is leaf in front and 4 inch block which i would like to get rid of in the rear. if i run the tire on a 8inch rim it will be taller does that mean if i run it on a 10 it will be shorter and i wont need to trim the front fender? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Shackle flips go in the front, not the rear.

[/ QUOTE ]

negative ghost rider. someone is smokin crack. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif anyway, back to the questions at hand....

yes, a shackle flip would be a good idea for the rear, home-made, custom fabbed, or ORD-built. Blocks suck, they always have and always will. As far as the tires hitting your fenders, it really depends on how flexible your suspension is. If you plan on running an anti-sway bar, or if you have really stiff springs (procomps, ranchos etc) you may not rub at all. I think the best thing to do would be to get the meats on there and then test it to see if they rub... if not, you wont waste time/money fixing a "problem" that doesnt exist. If they do, or they get close enuff that at MAX travel they would hit then you have a few options to solve the problem. Off-hand the following come to mind...

1) install some ORD zero rate add-a-leaves. This will raise your suspension 1" which may or may not be enuff.

2) raise the body on your rig with a body-lift. I have/like a ORD 1" body lift... others use taller body lifts. The pros/cons of bodylifts are often discussed here on ck5, i wont waste bandwidth reitterating all the arguements, any search will find em. At any rate, it will get you 1-3 inches of clearance for tires.

3) taller front leaf springs. not the cheapest solution, but depending on what kind of front springs you have now, it could be the best option. The thing about leafs though... the more they are arched for the taller the lift, the less flexy they are.

4) trim the fenders. I have done a fair share of fender trimming. I had never done any real body work before and they seemed to turn out pretty nice (atleast thats what other people say!). Its not hard to do, and if you have the tools you need it doesnt cost anything but time.

5) a combination of some/all of the above. I think each of the above options has positives and negatives associated with them... by doing just a little of each one, you can clear big meats while avoiding some of the negatives. Personally I have a set of zero rates, a 1" body lift, and I have done fender trimming (all of this on top of a 4" + ORD shack flip lift). This works pretty well for me, and 39.5x15x15 TSLs fit on my rig just fine. 36s shouldn't be a problem for you.

as far as the rim width and clearance thing... its really hard to say. in theory a 10" rim will make the tire slightly shorter and slightly wider so it should fit better right? not always! sometimes narrower rims help a tire stuff inside the wheel well just right whereas a fat rim makes it so the tire hits the outter fender lip. its really hard to say which one would fit best without actually trying them on YOUR rig.

j

8. Hank75

Hank75 Registered Member

much appreciated for your advice. i will be ordering the 36x12.5r15 tsl radial i think then as you said will find out where and if they rub. I have rancho leafs which as you said aren't the flexy creatures i would like.i have 15x8 rims so will try those then see. for sure i am getting rid of the rear blocks, depending on cash keep the old rancho rear springs or get new ones with shackle flip and get a set of softer flexy springs for the front. i have black diamond shocks right now. any suggestion for ugrades on these?
    thanks again this board rocks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    much appreciated for your advice. i will be ordering the 36x12.5r15 tsl radial i think then as you said will find out where and if they rub. I have rancho leafs which as you said aren't the flexy creatures i would like.i have 15x8 rims so will try those then see. for sure i am getting rid of the rear blocks, depending on cash keep the old rancho rear springs or get new ones with shackle flip and get a set of softer flexy springs for the front. i have black diamond shocks right now. any suggestion for ugrades on these?
    thanks again this board rocks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

good tire choice. personally i run bias TSLs... but only off-road, so "on road drive characteristics" dont mean much to me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif As far as front springs, I have ranchos myself... stiff as hell. I am definitely going to get new springs... its a tough decision though, Im not sure if I want some tough countrys or BDS springs... both are high quality.

with respect to your rear springs... you have aftermarket ones? ranchos? why? if saving $ is in your interest... and you are gonna do a shackle flip, you might wanna see if any1 here on ck5 (or locally!) has some stock rear springs you could have. Lots of peeps give them away when they do a lift. Anyway, stock rear springs are nice and flexy and work fine if you spend a lil time to clean them up. When i did my shackle flip, I took my leaf packs apart, got all the crud off of them, painted them, put UHMW-PE between the leaves to reduce friction, and then installed new bushings in the springs eyes. They have worked great, and the "rebuild" didnt really cost all that much either.

Shocks... i run, and like, Doetsch Tech DT 8000s. They are a lot softer than the rancho 5000s i used to have, they are heavily constructed, and best of all they are comparitively cheap... $35 a pop. IMO they are the best non-adjustable shock you can buy for less than $50-60/shock.

j