Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to all this, want ideas!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by snobordboi, Sep 4, 2003.

1. snobordboi

snobordboi Registered Member

Well everyone, I am about to buy a beat up 79 k5 for a fun toy, and i am looking at some cheap easy stuff i can do while i save up for a big lift and big tires and gears and all. I am thinking shackle flip in the rear but not sure about the front?? I want it to sit fairly level and probably clear 33x12.5 for now. and ive seen in here that lift kits with springs make too stiff of a ride, so what is the recomended path on that, i plan to eventually run 44s.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and ive seen in here that lift kits with springs make too stiff of a ride,

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much a myth. It's the spring rate that does that, along with the valving of the shock.

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Just don't go with blocks in the front, johnny law is the stiffest ride of all.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

do a spring lift in the front and a shackle flip in the rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well for 44's...u got a ways ahead..like 1 tons..with the right gearing...5 something im not sure what it is.. and a good amount of lift say around 7 or so and thats with fender trimming proboly...4" and 33's is a good start though...you could clear those with just some add a leafs even...

6. snobordboi

ok yeah the 44s are down the road, but if i want to do 33s right now with a shackle flip in the rear and add a leaf in the front or some 4 inch springs in the front i should be ok??? and my guess is i need a longer steering arm or some type of crossover steering for this?? what about my driveline angles and shocks? and if i did a body lift also would that be afecting any of that, steering length or anything?? and what is about the biggest tires i will be able to run on the 10 bolt front 12 bolt rear before i absolutely have to upgrade?

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You should be able to run 3-4 inch lift with the stock driveshafts

You will need a dropped steering arm and brake lines to be safe

I think a good compliment to a 3" - 4" lift would be 34" Swamper LTB's.

I'll have a 4" kit for sale later on, cheap. It's Rough Country and rides stuff, but it WILL flex (and I have pics to prove it). You could buy the same kit new fairly cheap as well

If you buy new front springs, the generally accepted standard for excellence is Tough Country

You could do the shackle through the hanger rear flip, the echobit flip, or the ORD flip, from cheapest to most expensive, and also in increasing order of complexity of design.

Good luck!

8. snobordboi

sounds good for a start, probably do the front springs and just the shckle through the hanger, but i dunno, i live in the same town as ord so im gonna see if i can get in touch with them and see what i can do, and i think i can get some worn 33s from a gal i work with so ill do that to start off.

9. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

If you are serious about 44's skip the little stuff and work towards the 44s now it will save you time and money in the long run. Bottom line figure out what you want out of your rig when its all said and done, then buy and build with that goal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. snobordboi

yeah if only i could do that, but this thing is in serious need of help and the tires are about to blow i think, and since i can get the 33s for free i just wanna clear them well and have safe tires till i save enough for all i want.

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If clearing 33s is all you are interested in right now you may not even need a lift. The '79 came factory with 31" tires so going to 33s will only take away an inch or so of clearance. I too got a beat to hell '79 and am turning it into a DD/crawler. I am running a shackle flip in the rear for 4" of lift plus a 1" zero rate for a total of 5" rear lift. In front I have a set uf used 4" superlift springs which have a bit of sag. I added a 3/4" zero rate in front so I figure with the sag my front lift is probably 4" - 4 1/2". This doesn't sorry me because once I get my tire carrier, spare tire, full 5 gal gas can, and full gas tank it will level out. I also removed the rockers and trimmed the fenders as I am going for flex and using 35" tires.

If you are eventually planning on 44s you will still benefit from a shackle flip in the rear. Do that and get a set of used 4" front springs for cheap (paid $75 for mine). This should easily clear 33s. Then when you want to go higher lift you could get 6" springs for the front and 2" springs for the rear and with a bit of trimming possibly fit 44s.

here are some pics of my progress. I just got my driver side fender and inner fender mounted today. Wire harnesses run and some of the front clip installed but haven't put pics of that up yet.