Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to CB's.. am I transmitting?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by emoo99, Dec 25, 2003.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

new to CB\'s.. am I transmitting?

Just got a new cobra 148 for christmas, installed it today with a 102" whip and just fooling around with the channels i get some people talking pretty clear, saying there from kenmore so i chime in a few words and no reply.. i'm wondering if they even hear me?.. what's a good way to tell of i don't have any closr friends with a cb to test it out?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: new to CB\'s.. am I transmitting?

Ask for a "Radio check". Make sure things like Dynomic (Mic gain) are turned all the way up. Also make sure it's set to AM and not USB or LSB.

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    saying there from kenmore

[/ QUOTE ]

How far is that from your location?

4. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

well kenmore like 20 miles and he was talkin to a guy about 7 miles from me the opposite direction.. i just got the 148, hasn't been peaked or tuned yet, the shop guy said bring it back in a few weeks after i use it and he'll do it for free.. it just seems like every channel i go thru sucks in reception.. are the channels usually crappy like that or should at least a few of them be clear?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Daytime can suck becouse of the 11 year cycle. (Sunspots) Try it after dark.

6. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

ok and also, say i'm on the freeway and i see a rig next to me with a cb antenna, i assume he has a cb and i wanna talk to him, is there a fast way i can find his channel without wavin him down, like is there a certian channel everyone's on? or do i have to scroll thru all 40 channels of USB, LSB, and AM?

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok and also, say i'm on the freeway and i see a rig next to me with a cb antenna, i assume he has a cb and i wanna talk to him, is there a fast way i can find his channel without wavin him down, like is there a certian channel everyone's on? or do i have to scroll thru all 40 channels of USB, LSB, and AM?

[/ QUOTE ]

He will be on channel 19(am), unless you are on I-5 then it will be 17(am).

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well kenmore like 20 miles and he was talkin to a guy about 7 miles from me the opposite direction.. i just got the 148, hasn't been peaked or tuned yet, the shop guy said bring it back in a few weeks after i use it and he'll do it for free..

[/ QUOTE ]

That is borderline on distance for transmitting. 7 miles away is unlikely they will hear you. More like up to 5 miles and thats a maybe. When he tweaks and peaks it, you will be able (as long as he knows what he is doing) to get out alot farther with it. Maybe double or more your transmitting distance. You might even be able to get to Kenmore. Each radio is different, so there is no exact distance.

[ QUOTE ]
    it just seems like every channel i go thru sucks in reception.. are the channels usually crappy like that or should at least a few of them be clear?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is normal, you will get used to it after awhile. Adding a noise cancelling speaker (Cobra) will help with the static. Adding a noise cancelling mic (Roadking 56) will help people understand you better over the air waves, making your voice alot crisper. Use you RF gain to filter out some of that static, but keep in mind you will also lose some (hearing) distance as you turn down the RF gain. Hope some of this helps/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

yea sure does, thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif