Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to CBs, But have a dream! Help me with Ideas!

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Batmanjr, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I've been reading alot of ya'lls posts on base stations and setups in your rig! Here is what I want to do! I have three trucks! One is a tow rig(83 Blazer with a Cummins soon!), One is an 87 Blazer weekend warrior(Wife's Truck), An the Third is my highly modiifed 88 pickup(MY TRAIL RIG)..... Around these parts, we don't have many trails, we have parks! Large open playgrounds! The Idea is, once I get the 88 running and the Cummins in, I want to use the diesel as a base station, like as far as I can reach! It will be parked, but I want the ability to ground the truck to the earth, or use it mobaly! Second, I want two other decent CBs in my trail rigs so that we can comunicate, and also speek back to the base station! Any thoughts!? By the way, this is all in time AND under a budget! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Sounds simple. The main thing you need to do is get a really good antenna for your "base". I've seen a lot of guys do something really similar. You can get a Solorcon A99 base antenna which is 18' long but breaks down into three 6' long sections to transport it or get a Solorcon Imax 2000 which is 24' long in three 8' sections. Then go to radio shack and get a few 5' antenna sections to mount it to and a little rope for guy wires and you've got yourself a base antenna. If you're pretty handy with fitting pipes etc you can even make your own custom pole to get the antenna in the air. around 20' or so should be plenty. For the other antenna's just pick your favorite quality antenna. There are plenty to choose from. Personally I like Wilson.

As for the radios you have tons of possibilities all depending on how much you want to spend. If the range from base to mobile is all you are worried about then just about any radios will do up to about 5-8 miles.

If you want something with a lot of range then get more power or send the base antenna in the air as high as you can.