Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to diesel help me out

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by protechk5, May 5, 2005.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Okay I got a few questions here. Alright I got 2 trucks right now, my 90k5 which Im selling, and my dd a 2000 s-10 zr2. I dont want to sell the k5 but i cant really afford to have to trucks right now, and i cant aford to drive the k5 as a DD. So i was thinking of maybe getting a k30 with a diesel. Theres one close by me a 85 k30 4x4 ex military truck with 35,000miles on it, asking $2500 for it. I know my k5 like the back of my hand, so im not worry about fixing it up, but i dont know anything about diesels. If i got this truck it would be my dd and offroad truck. If i got this truck what should i look? What goes bad on the 6.2 and how hard and how much? I want this truck at last a while. What kinda of mileage could i get with 40's and the right gears. Im pretty sure it has the th400 and i would probably would want to swap in a 456 and 205. My s10 is nice but its doesnt get more than like 15 around town, and I cant take it offroading much, it only sits 3 and thats real tight, its just a smaller truck so if i could get a k30 I figure that it would get better gas mileage, i could have a lift and go offroading and its much bigger truck and i would have alot of money left over. So if i could get the k30 and getting it running, i would just sell the s10 also. What do you all think?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Typically dumb stuff goes bad on 6.2's. Like glow plugs, lift pumps, harmonic balancers...all pretty easy to check for and not a ton of cash to repair. Starters also get beat up and wear out quick (usually because glow plugs stopped working)

The balancer is a pretty important one, because when they go bad crank failure isn't very far away.

That truck will have 4.56's and a rear detroit...basically the identical drivetrain that i have under my K5. It will be exact if you add the SM465/205 and 40's. With that combo i managa a respectable 16.5 mpg on the freeway at 65 mph, and a solid 15 mpg in town.

I think it's a good plan, and with those gears and a 4 speed I think you'll be pretty happy with the power. I'm happy enough with my 6.2's performance, and tickled with the mileage I get.

I'd recomend spending some time reading posts in this forum, there is a ton of good info to be had just browsing.

Rene